DCGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Raheela

DCGS

Post by Raheela »

I am new to this site - my child is in year 5 (with 2 other brothers in year 4 and Reception) and due to sit his 11+ next year- we have sold our house and will be moving to Amersham in January 2011 with the hope he gets into Dr Challenors. Can anyone suggest a good prep school in Amersham for all three or are the state primaries just as good?

Are IPS papers what people would recommend to practice?

Also what score is needed on average for a September born child to qualify for a place ?

I would appreciate any thoughts
duffymoon

Re: DCGS

Post by duffymoon »

Hi Raheela

Welcome to the forum

Chesham Prep is not too far from Amersham. I don't have any experience or knowledge of the state schools in Amersham.

You might want to start with IPS and AFN, but also get hold of Susan Daughtrey (2 packs), Learning Lab Series (2 packs) and GL Assessment/NFER.

September born need to score roughly 70 out of 80 to achieve 121.

Use the search facility on the forum as you'll find alot of information on the above.
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Hello Raheela and welcome.

Have you considered what you'll do if your child doesn't pass (most don't)?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

The Beacon is another excellent boys’ prep school in Amersham.

Of the state schools, Elangeni is pretty good, Woodside less so (but improving, I believe) and lots of people speak highly of St Mary’s in Amersham Old Town. Catchment areas are pretty tight, so well worth looking into before you move house if you’re going down the state route.

I do second Dad40’s point of needing to consider the alternatives should your DS not get into DCGS. If you could afford to go private throughout secondary schooling, there are Merchant Taylors’ and Berkhamstead within easy reach but if not some of the upper schools are much better than others.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now