Move to buckinghamshire

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
organic_cycles

Move to buckinghamshire

Post by organic_cycles »

Hello - we are moving to Buckinghamshire next year. I just wonder how the various grammar schools compare. I also wonder if anyone has experience with a child with Aspergers. DD is exceptionally bright but lacks social skills.

Thanks!
Midget Man

Re: Move to buckinghamshire

Post by Midget Man »

Alot may depend on which area of Bucks you are moving to? I think 'Morning Glory' is in the Bucks area and has fought well with sen need's, hope he'll be along soon to offer you all his advice. :D
andyb

Post by andyb »

Results-wise they all perform very well. The biggest difference depends on whether you want single-s ex or co-ed. You really have to visit the schools to get a feel for the atmosphere - what suits one child may be anothers idea of h ell!
zee

Post by zee »

As Andy said, all the grammars are good academically.

The one my DS attend is an all boys one and there are quite a few boys diagnosed with Asperger's (and quite a few who possibly have it mildly, but have never needed enough help to justify getting a label). Those that need it seem to get plenty of help and they are certainly not left out or made to feel odd.

So, although I'd check out provision at the specific grammars you may be in catchment for, my greater concern would be your back up plan if DC doesn't get a grammar place. The upper schools vary HUGELY in terms of academic results and probably in terms of other things as well.
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

Hi We went through the 11+ process last year with DS who is diagnosed with Aspergers. Everyone told me he was really bright and needed to be at a GS but there are no guarantees they will pass. I cannot agree more strongly with Zee that you need to find the right GS to suit your child but also you need a good backup.

We were very lucky that the one GS (JHGS) the HT, OT, SALT and Consultant told us would suit DS and has an excellent reputation for their pastrol care, was also our catchment GS and husband and brother had gone there many moons ago. I arranged an appointment with SENCO and was extremely impressed. However, we knew DS would struggle with the format of the exam so were very conscious that we needed a back up secondary. Our catchment secondary left us cold and after 3 meetings we decided that it really wasn't an option for our DS. My niece goes to the same school and is thriving but they just didn't seem to be able to meet all DS's needs. Out second option was another secondary but it was out of catchment and we were not sure if we would get a place, although it was a better option I still wasn't 100% convinced.

To cut a long story short, DS failed 11+ (as expected), we appealed, DS started at GS in September and I know he is in the right environment. The school has been amazing and the learning support team has surpassed all my expectations.

I have heard other GS's are also very supportive.