Count Down

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mad?

Re: Count Down

Post by mad? »

it would be not entirely displeasing if all those parents who 'did it' at the school gates happened to be the ones whose DC 'didn't', would it not? In :wink: some karmic retributive (sic melissa) sort of way...
mad?
TheDirector

Post by TheDirector »

I'm ashamed to admit it but anxiety/sleep deprivation is starting to kick-in.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Because of the possible weather predictions I am now worried that we may not get our results, posted to arrive saturday, until after the weekend.

At least it gives me something else to worry about !

My son is still very chilled about it all which is wonderful and quite happy to let me open the 'dreaded / exciting' envelope. Why can't we parents be the same ?????
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

Try and wait 'til you get home - however agonising the drive.

I remember a poor boy who opened his letter with his mum in the 'safe haven' of his car which was parked in the next street to the school. Unfortunately he did not make the score and it was like being in a goldfish bowl as everyone walked past his car seeing him sobbing. On a brighter note, this same boy successfully got through the 12+ and is now happily settled at Burnham Grammar School.

Good Luck to everyone waiting for the dreaded envelope.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think we are lucky in North Yorks in that the letters are posted and often arrive when the DC is at school - or poss on a saturday.
Parents can then have a look at the result and be prepared for the consequences. Regardless of what you have promised the child - get the envelope open and resealed or transferred to another envelope or whatever.
I think it particularly important to have a "sneak preview" where the letters are not a straightforward yes or no, eg "included in the group" ... "assessed as suitable..." .
... I remember DD's distress (in the car) at seeing the bold words "this is not an offer of a school place".... missing (as a 10 year old might) the words "included in the group assessed as being suitable for selective education".
Fortunately I had sneakily read the letter first!

As you get given the letters at school - please go somewhere - anywhere - to have a look ! We'll all be think ing of you on friday.... :wink:
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

Booked a restaurant for Friday night.. regardless of the outcome.. we have to celebrate the effort. We have a nice little Indian around the cornor.

Not so sure what I am going to do during Friday... thinking of booking a day off... but not so sure.. (too late to book now anyway!!)..

Kids have started to talk about it at school :( we can't avoid that..

Monsoon.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Ooh, an Indian restaurant sound's yummy :D Feeling very anxious for you all, keep yourselve's busy, busy, busy!x
Joannemelissa

Post by Joannemelissa »

Distraction!
He came in with the letter, went upstairs to change whilst we opened it, the cousins arrived 10 minutes later, we got in the car and went straight to the cinema. Whatever the result, I felt that instant distration would be best so I could digest it and not make a big fuss over him.
He passed but it still makes my stomach feel tight thinking about it.
Another 3 years until I have to do it again, but I will definitely have those cinema tickets booked again.
Good luck everyone.
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

mad? wrote:it would be not entirely displeasing if all those parents who 'did it' at the school gates happened to be the ones whose DC 'didn't', would it not? In :wink: some karmic retributive (sic melissa) sort of way...

I wouldn’t wish it for any one.. it may be the parent’s stupidity.. but poor kids.
mummog

Post by mummog »

Our family tradition is a visit to a well-known pizza establishment - not just as a celebration/distraction but also because the thought of, let alone the preparation of, food with my nervously queasy tum, was out of the question. Much as we try not to, it is tempting to watch all the other families to spot which we think are 'yays' and which 'nays'. So far with our DCs, we have had a 'high flier', a 'borderline success', an 'almost but not quite' and now await with everything crossed for what Friday's envelope will bring. Good luck all.

Mummog
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now