12+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bidya

12+

Post by bidya »

Hi all, My ds is sitting the 12+ in Bucks in Feb. Can anyone suggest any good 12+ papers to buy. Ds's weak on Vocab sections- can anyone suggest ways to improve vocab enough to pass 12+. Ds is smart, got level 5's in sats but hates to read. I'm new to the Forum so not sure if I'm asking the question in the right way but would appreciate any advice/tips for 12+.

thanks
very nervous mum
Sally-Anne

Re: 12+

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Bidya, and welcome!

I am going to move your thread to Bucks, where you will get specific advice.

If you haven't already read it, there is Sticky about the 12+ here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=16392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise the materials you need are exactly the same as for the 11+, described here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can download lists of vocabulary here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi ... wnload.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a reluctant reader the only way to go is to wade through the vocab lists. It can be more fun for the children to look up words using a digital dictionary and thesaurus, which you can buy for around £15.00.

Sally-Anne
drummer

Post by drummer »

the test is very similar though not exactly the same. However the usual 11+ materials will be fine for practise. The biggest difference is in how the child records his/her answers. Bucks will provide you with a very small sample to look at.

Do look at the links Sally Anne provided.
bidya

Post by bidya »

Thank you Sally-Anne and Drummer. Do you or anyone on the forum have any tips on improving the speed or any shortcuts on any of the question types? At the moment DS is getting 91% in the exams is going slightly over time. Does anyone know about what the passmark has been/likely to be?

Also can anyone suggest a good tutor in Bucks area please. :?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

bidya - trying to reply to you but pm wont leave my outbox. Can you check you have "Allow users to send you private messages" set to yes.
bidya

Post by bidya »

Minesatea wrote:bidya - trying to reply to you but pm wont leave my outbox. Can you check you have "Allow users to send you private messages" set to yes.
Hi Minesate, just sent you a pm.
markusha

Post by markusha »

This is a question following up on the one above - perhaps for Tree.

From the raw score to standardised score discussion, it seems that the required raw score ranges quite a bit depending on age (as well as on other factors which I do not pretend to understand). How does this translate to 12+? Taken 18 months later, does one assume the required raw score is going to be pushing 76 or 77? And what about 13+? 82/80? My February-born DS is taking 12+ in February 2011. Is there any data on this? Informed guesswork?

Many, many thanks
bidya

Post by bidya »

From the raw score to standardised score discussion, it seems that the required raw score ranges quite a bit depending on age (as well as on other factors which I do not pretend to understand). How does this translate to 12+? Taken 18 months later, does one assume the required raw score is going to be pushing 76 or 77? And what about 13+? 82/80? My February-born DS is taking 12+ in February 2011. Is there any data on this?

Tree,

I also would be interested to know what raw score a September born will need to get to pass the 12+.
drummer

Post by drummer »

Many people believe that it is slightly easier to pass the 12+ because:

1) The child is older, with a perhaps more mature and determined attitude to practising for the test
2) there are not enough children taking the 12+ to make a standardisation cohort so results are compared against national standards which are slightly lower

My advice would be, as hard as it might be to not worry about the raw scores and what they might mean as it won't help or make any difference. Just use the advice on this forum to plan your study and practice. Use mistakes on papers to fine tune your study. Encourage your child to read as much as possible and work on vocabulary and try a find some balance between studying for the test without adding too much pressure and stress.
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Yes I would agree that it is easier to pass in the sense that kids are more ready for it BUT...

1. You only get one stab at it (one test)
2. There are hurdles for even sitting it (you apply and your application can be rejected)
3. There are more hurdles to actually winning a grammar school place even if you pass (fewer places available scattered in a few areas of Bucks)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now