How many children in your year 6 qualified?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Booklady

How many children in your year 6 qualified?

Post by Booklady »

Just interested in how much this can vary across the county.

We're in the state system, had a class of 30, I think about 20 took the test, 6 qualified - though there are a number who will appeal (several surprise 'just misses').

I know of another school in the independent sector - 21 took the test and 18 qualified. :shock:
drummer

Re: How many children in your year 6 qualified?

Post by drummer »

State School, 60 (ish) children 50% of those who took the test passed equating to 37% of cohort

The school has a very mixed socio-economic entry and performs moderately well in the SATs league tables
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

Another indi I heard of.. 24 took, 17 qualified...
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

At our state primary 24 took the test (5 opted out) and 15 passed.

I think it is wrong to compare state school with private schools as more will often opt out in a private school hence the high pass rate quoted. At a local private school nearby 24 took the test and 17 passed but about 20 opted out. Some children who would have opted out did so as they were remaining in the private sector but many opted out as the school told the parents grammar school would not be right for their child. Completely different to the state system where children are encouraged to have a go.
pippi

Post by pippi »

How did you find all this out?!
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Just the classroom grapevine - the phones / texts were buzzing on Friday! :wink:
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

I have friends at local school with my old children and also at local private schools. News seems to spread very quickly! Our head teacheer told a parent that asked the percentage of children that had passed as the parent was intending to appeal and wanted to see where her child fitted into the list of children the school has suggested were suited for grammar school education.
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

At our state school, it seems that 6 out of 29 to 30 (I think 2 or 3 opted out) passed plus 2-3 near misses, two who will def be appealing. So about 20% so far.

I know you can't compare State and Indie schools directly but I know for instance that my sister sent her DCs to private school to stand more chance of passing the 11+ (it worked).....lots of the parents at her school did the same and the whole thing became self-fulfilling!
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Our local state girls GS has around 900-1000 girls apply for 120 places each year. 6 girls applied out of 60 from our year 6 last year, but only 1 girl got in. Around 5 boys applied to the boys wing of same GS and got in from our school (but the boys cut off mark in lower by 9 points have to add).
Belgarath

Post by Belgarath »

Doblinski wrote:Our local state girls GS has around 900-1000 girls apply for 120 places each year. 6 girls applied out of 60 from our year 6 last year, but only 1 girl got in. Around 5 boys applied to the boys wing of same GS and got in from our school (but the boys cut off mark in lower by 9 points have to add).
Doblinski

This is the exact reason we moved from Teddington to Bucks 10 years ago. I noted your TW1 post code

As for our school we had 11 out of 20 and one very close who will may well get through. We are in High Wycombe area.