Raw Scores to Standardisation Mark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pippi

Re: Raw Scores to Standardisation Mark

Post by pippi »

It's done on age at the time of testing - they'd be the oldest group when they took the tests?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Yes, the OoC group would be standardised on their age at the time of testing.
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Pippi - I think I misunderstood your Q initially. Sorry!

Tree - I quite agree about the narrow discrimination window.

Anyway coming back to the original Q, does anyone else have any more raw scores to contribute?
Tree

Post by Tree »

Yes, the OoC group would be standardised on their age at the time of testing.
but their data is read off the data for the in county people though isn't it they are not standardised as a group??
bucksdaddy

Post by bucksdaddy »

Tree wrote:This highlights one of the real problem with the 11 plus test in bucks as the pass mark creeps up past 90% this means that it is only around 15 questions in the paper that decide everything if we think of it in terms of sampling 65/80 of the questions are wasted ie they are too easy and are sampling the wrong thing, its like measuring the difference between a load of sticks that are all around 10 cms long with a metre rule it would be much better to use a measuring sytem that was centred around the difference you are interested in. i am sure i have heard of online cognitive tests which are individually tailored ie depending on how you do in the first few questions you are given easier or harder questions set around your level this would increases the samples and makes the mark more precise.
This highlights one of the real problem with the 11 plus test in bucks as the pass mark creeps up past 90% this means that it is only around 15 questions in the paper that decide everything if we think of it in terms of sampling 65/80 of the questions are wasted ie they are too easy and are sampling the wrong thing, its like measuring the difference between a load of sticks that are all around 10 cms long with a metre rule it would be much better to use a measuring sytem that was centred around the difference you are interested in. i am sure i have heard of online cognitive tests which are individually tailored ie depending on how you do in the first few questions you are given easier or harder questions set around your level this would increases the samples and makes the mark more precise.
Tree, I fully agree, the exam needs to produce a greater range of scores between the borderline candidates. With a passmark of 85%-90% a couple of careless errors or lucky guesses can make all the difference.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

On the topic of raw scores, and the data so far contributed..does anyone know the raw score required to achieve 121 in the recent Bucks 11+ for a Feb born child? Also, how quickly do Bucks respond to raw score requests? I posted mine two weeks ago, but have not received anything back yet.. Thanks
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

Hi mm23292,
I received my original requests for DS after 8 days. He got 70, 70 for 120, 115 and is October born. Sent DD requests on Friday and am expecting them on probably week Wednesday.

Has anyone received any other specific actual raw and SD scores with month of births recently? With all this info re. standard deviations etc. I cant see any other data being posted.
stresspot

Post by stresspot »

How do I request raw scores? Dd passed but her scores varied wildly so I'm also quite interested...
Tree

Post by Tree »

Hi stresspot there is a link here:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=12629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
evincent

Post by evincent »

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and like you people extremely surprised that my very bright son is not considered suitable for Grammar school. His also a Sept. babe so might help with your analysis?
On it first test his raw score was 69 giving him 119;
on his second test his raw score was 73 giving him 120. That is a whopping 91.25% and still no pass.

Unforunately I did not have him tutored, I was naive enough to believe that his natural intelligence would be sufficient. Naturally I am appealing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now