Advice reqd for DS as plan to relocate to Amersham (2012)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jumper

Re: Advice reqd for DS as plan to relocate to Amersham (2012

Post by Jumper »

Sorry I am new to this forum, I meant to respond to Sally - Anne's comment that she considers a child scoring 121 may struggle.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

the plan is to rent a property in Amersham and depending on where we get the seat, we will look to buy a property in that area.
I stand to be corrected (Sally-Anne?), but I think you have to be quite careful with this plan, bagesh. DCGS has been clamping down in recent years and unless you can provide pretty firm evidence that you intend to make your home in Amersham, they may not accept you really live in the area. If you're renting now and planning to rent in Amersham, the school could take the view that you are only renting in the area specifically to get your DS into the school, and they might take a dim view of that.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Jumper
Sally-Anne wrote:However, if 121 represents the "ceiling" of the child's ability, I would think that they would struggle once they were there.
Jumper wrote:Sorry I am new to this forum, I meant to respond to Sally - Anne's comment that she considers a child scoring 121 may struggle.
The two statements are very different. My comment refers to 121 as the ceiling of a child's ability. Some children may achieve 121 after intensive tuition, but the score represents the absolute upper limit of their ability. In reality their usual level of achievement without tuition and support might be lower than that. They might cope at a less demanding GS with some help and support because their ability is close to the overall standard required, but at a demanding GS they will sink without trace.

In contrast, there are children who score 121 (or less, but they are deemed qualified at an appeal) for whom that score is by no means the "ceiling" of their ability - it is merely the limit of their ability in the Bucks VR test. I have seen plenty of cases like that over the years. Parents simply need to be realistic about their child's underlying level of ability in the context of any grammar school, but particularly when considering those that demand high standards.

Bagesh - you would be wise to heed Rob's warning:
Rob Clark wrote:I stand to be corrected (Sally-Anne?), but I think you have to be quite careful with this plan, bagesh. DCGS has been clamping down in recent years and unless you can provide pretty firm evidence that you intend to make your home in Amersham, they may not accept you really live in the area. If you're renting now and planning to rent in Amersham, the school could take the view that you are only renting in the area specifically to get your DS into the school, and they might take a dim view of that.
Indeed - the Admissions Policy states:
c) The school may require a higher standard of evidence for ‘residence qualification’ than that outlined in the County Scheme if there are reasons for casting doubt on the honesty of an application.
Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Jumper wrote:how does that leave children who suceed on appeal.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

bagesh,

Fundamentally you have to be comfortable with your options if he doesn't pass. For Amersham, that will probably mean The Amersham School, The Misbourne or possibly Chalfont Community College.....or the private options of Berkhamsted and Merchant Taylors. It sounds (from Sally-Anne) like Clement Danes is out.

DCGS is a good school. Chesham Grammar is a good school (and you are highly likely to get in from Amersham). In other words, you can probably relax if he qualifies.
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

Hi Bagesh,

It depends on how you feel about the grammar/selective system and how much importance you give to the "league tables". As usual, some people like it some loathe it.

If you are willing to put your child (and yourself) through the grammar system then best thing to do is to move into an area where you have access to higher number of "ranked" schools and also where the local council allows you enough slots in your CAF (common application form) so that there is some place for "safe" choice(s) too.

Note that there are some schools (typically high ranked) which do not care about catchment at all which means that you are free to compete based on merit alone and you can move into the area at your leisure. Of course they will take up a valuable "slot" in your CAF - which might come back and haunt you on 1st March - or not, depending on how everything goes! :roll:

Another thing to consider is the examination/allocation system and subjects. For example, counties having a "consortium" system where a set of schools are under one umbrella and have a common entrance test (VR/NVR/Maths etc). So, if you see that a higher number of schools in a consortium are "ranked", it might be the one to go for. This also means that your child can then concentrate on preparing for particular subject(s).

Further, some counties have a merit list based system for the 11+/ common entrance test (eg: Hertfordshire), whereas others have a pass "cutoff" eg: 121 marks for Bucks, after which it doesn't matter how much your DC scores - it typically just boils down to how close to the schools frontyard you live. Both systems have pros and cons.

As far oversubscription of SCD, would suggest you contact the local authority and ask for an "allocation profile" (think it should be available on its website anyway).

One last thing... be realistic with your choices. Only you know your DC best - irrespective of what coaching gurus out there say to you! :wink:

All the best to you and your DC(s).

Regards
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

yogkruti wrote:As far oversubscription of SCD, would suggest you contact the local authority and ask for an "allocation profile" (think it should be available on its website anyway).
2010 figures: PAN of 208, 749 applications. 30 places allocated to pupils from out-of-County. I feel sure that all of those will have been admitted under one of the following criteria:
a) Sibling rule, which has a very high priority in the Admissions criteria
b) 10% general ability
c) 10% musical aptitude

There are no figures stated for distance, because the school is a Foundation School and an own-admission authority. However any past distances will be largely irrelevant because Herts has changed from travelling distance to straight line distances this year.

S-A
zee

Post by zee »

yogkruti wrote:Note that there are some schools (typically high ranked) which do not care about catchment at all which means that you are free to compete based on merit alone and you can move into the area at your leisure.
Indeed there are, but not in Bucks, so if you put one of those on your form, it would be a long commute.

As others have said, the most important things are:

1. Be 100% sure you meet the residence requirements (bearing in mind that Challoner's recently imposed tighter ones than other schools).

2. Have a backup option you are completely happy with; on that basis, Amersham (Amersham School) or Little Chalfont (Chalfonts Community College) are much better bets than Chesham (Chesham Park).
bagesh

Post by bagesh »

Thanks for your responses.
I never thought 11+ is so traumatic.
I am now even more confused with my choices.
WP

Post by WP »

Sally-Anne wrote:
yogkruti wrote:As far oversubscription of SCD, would suggest you contact the local authority and ask for an "allocation profile" (think it should be available on its website anyway).
2010 figures: PAN of 208, 749 applications. 30 places allocated to pupils from out-of-County. I feel sure that all of those will have been admitted under one of the following criteria:
a) Sibling rule, which has a very high priority in the Admissions criteria
b) 10% general ability
c) 10% musical aptitude

There are no figures stated for distance, because the school is a Foundation School and an own-admission authority. However any past distances will be largely irrelevant because Herts has changed from travelling distance to straight line distances this year.
Distances for 2007-1010 entries were 3333, 3628, 2250 and 2397 metres respectively. As SA has said, these were measured along roads and paths, while from this year they use straight line, but it might give a rough idea. The last two criteria have no catchment or distance restriction (21 places each).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now