Appealed for 11plus not qualifing- not succesful -

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SAM777

Appealed for 11plus not qualifing- not succesful -

Post by SAM777 »

My 2nd DS did not pass the 11Plus in Bucks; we appealed but did not succeed. I am currently feeling devastated and depressed. Older child is already in Grammar school doing well.
Does anyone know what was the pass rate for the 11plus in the bucks, in the last few years? This year it was only 31 per cent.
Has anyone been in the same situation, don’t know what else to do for my son; he is mainly upset for not going to the same school as his sibling. Is it worth putting him through 12 plus.
thefirs

Re: Appealed for 11plus not qualifing- not succesful -

Post by thefirs »

Just wanted to say I feel 4 you so much. Mine is tomorrow, but I can just imagine how u feel . See how ds feels about 12 plus but personally I don't think the heartbreak all over again is worth it .
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Sorry to hear your news. I guess the 12+ depends on whether you are OK about the school he will go to, how much he didn't pass by - and whether you think this can be improved enough for a confident pass next year, also whether there are usually places at the grammar you are wanting at 12+ - quite a lot of kids don't get a place at 12+ despite having passed - I know I have read this on here somewhere!

We were lucky and she passed, but as we have such a dreadful local upper, and as the grammar we are in catchment for take a lot of kids at 12+ usually (though this may change as it becomes more popular), we had already decided before the results arrived that if she didn't pass, and if we didn't get through on appeal, that we would send her private for a year to a local prep school, then take the 12+.

You have to weigh up all the options - and, of course, what your DS thinks.

All the best with your decisions .......
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi SAM777

I arrived here at almost the same stage as you (although without an older child) and that was many years ago. I understand entirely how you are feeling at present.

Take a look here to find out how the 12+ works. Your younger son should have a good chance of a place under the sibliing rules provided the age gap isn't too large.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... -procedure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The pass rate in Bucks is always around 30%, plus or minus a point or so.

I will move this thread to Bucks, because you will get more local and helpful information there.

Sally-Anne
drummer

Post by drummer »

DS2 failed his 11+. We didn't appeal as he was resigned to the result and said he was happy to go to the well regarded and popular upper school on offer. He HATED it. He decided to do the 12+, and with more confidence about his own abilities he passed and is now much happier and in the same GS as his older brother.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Just to put the other side of the coin, when DD failed 11+ she swore that she would do the 12+. In the event, both she and we were so happy with her upper school that we decided not to bother. We haven’t had cause to regret that decision.

From a practical point of view, you have to register for the 12+ quite early (September or October, I think) so if you’re even considering that option, it’s best to register your DS as you can pull him out the day before the actual test if necessary. Bear in mind that your DS will probably need level 5 SATS before he will be allowed to sit the 12+.
drummer

Post by drummer »

Rob Clark wrote:Just to put the other side of the coin, when DD failed 11+ she swore that she would do the 12+. In the event, both she and we were so happy with her upper school that we decided not to bother. We haven’t had cause to regret that decision.

From a practical point of view, you have to register for the 12+ quite early (September or October, I think) so if you’re even considering that option, it’s best to register your DS as you can pull him out the day before the actual test if necessary. Bear in mind that your DS will probably need level 5 SATS before he will be allowed to sit the 12+.
Agreed. Had my son been happy we would have left him - it was totally his decision.

And Rob is correct, your son will need to have scored level 5s in his SATs, especially English and Maths and it would help if early reports from the new school show above average academic ability. If he doesn't have the level 5s and/or the new school refuses to support your application for a 12+ test, you will have to go through an appeal in order for your son to sit the test.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

To further complicate matters, SAM, some schools now have their own testing procedures for what they call ‘late entry’ ie at Y8 and Y9. I know Dr Challoner’s does (which is where DS goes), and I think in those cases you will need to apply to the school direct rather than through the LEA. Hopefully one of the nice mods will pop in shortly and confirm this and explain how it works.
SAM777

Post by SAM777 »

Thank you all for some really good advice. I feel much better, after the weekend and as times goes by it gets easier. I am keeping my fingers cross to get our 2nd choise of Secondary school in MK, which is also our feeder school but out of catchment.

Thank you again for the 12+ advice, and good luck with your appeal.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Hope you start feeling more upbeat soon, just to say that the MK secondarys in some parts are very, very good, particularly in the West. Will keep my fingers crossed you get an excellent allocation :D