New to 11+ Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
twinkled

New to 11+ Bucks

Post by twinkled »

Hi

Firstly, well done, this is such a fantastic website with so much useful information and so many helpful forum members.

My Eldest child is in year five and is due to sit her 11+ later in the year. Having not been brought up myself in this area it is all a bit of an unknown territory for me.

She is very bright and is certainly a 'grammar school girl' so her school say. However I find it all a bit scary basing her future on one test. Luckily, my daughter loves tests and is not worried at all about taking her 11+ so hopefully that will go in her favour.

Having looked at the tips on here I am planning on going down the home tutoring path but obviously do not want to let my daughter down by making the wrong decisions now.

I have been through the method and technique book (IPS) with her and she is confident with the theory behind the questions. But what sort of percentage should I be expecting her to get right in the practice papers to put her in with a good chance of passing?

I plan to give her one of the Tutors full length tests over the weekend to get a ballpark figure of where she is at and whether she can finish in the time limit. How do the Tutors tests compare with the real thing difficulty wise?

Also, at what point do the buckinghamshire grammar schools allow you to go and view them to make your decisions on which ones you want to apply for? Are there set county days for this or do you just go to the schools independently for an appointment?

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice. :D
patricia

Re: New to 11+ Bucks

Post by patricia »

Dear Twinkled

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Have you looked at the following link showing the relevant material to buy?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Tutors are of a middle range difficulty with the first 2 being easy gradually increasing in difficulty.

The "pass" mark is relatively high. I like my students to be scoring 90% plus which should, after some prep, be easily attainable with the The Tutors. The Bright Sparks series by Susan Daughtrey are similar in style and difficulty to the real test.

The dates for open evenings are not set in stone yet. [will have to check my facts on that] but you can look at anytime by ringing the school, most/some are obliging if you push for a tour.

Good Luck

Patricia
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Hi, I am not an expert but one of the Mums who have experienced the system in Bucks last year. My advice on the subject of visiting schools is to plan it carefully as last year school open evenings were held in the immediate run up and during the 11+ exams which is unfortunate if you want to avoid lots of running around and late nights. An alternative could be to make your own appointments to see schools in action but I don't know if all schools offer this opportunity.
Lots of luck to you and your DD.
gertie

Post by gertie »

Yes Jules7 is right, last year many open evenenings were held the same time as 11+ exams which is not ideal as they can go on till pretty late (my daughter became very tired and would lose interest as the evenings went on). I think I am right in saying most schools also have at least one open morning which might be an option - our primary school was flexible about taking our DC's out for part of the morning if required.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

As I've said elsewhere on here, I think the daytime tours are a much better way of seeing the school - you see it in operation with the pupils in classes, not just the chaotic sales evening which can be quite intimidating. Also some schools have their open evenings on the same day, and the night before or the night after the 11 plus. Most will also let you have a private tour as well if you ask nicely! :D
scary mum
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

I agree with the previous statements and would avoid going to the open evenings in September as they are far too close to the actual 11 plus exams. They are pretty exhausting for parent and child and I think would only add to the stress of the immediate exam period. I think all the schools we have looked at on their website or prospectus say you are welcome to make an appointment to visit the school privately.