11+ Pass rates at across Bucks Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gertie

Re: 11+ Pass rates at across Bucks Schools

Post by gertie »

Maybe it is just down to the level of support / coaching / demographics etc. which underlines a major reason why the test is unfair? But that is another discussion.....
I think has a lot to do with it; there are plenty of able children from all backgrounds but other factors, ie. support at home/finances/english a second language etc are all factors which would prevent these DC's from having or being given the extra edge needed for the exams.
All of my daughters group of friends have had tutoring programmes which spanned two years in most cases, it seems it is an accepted normality. And despite the fact that they are not all in top groups, they all passed. DH thinks we should jump on the bandwagon and do likewise with DD2, learn from our failing so to speak, but I just inherently think it is so wrong!
Know exactly how you feel mm23292, we didn'tgo down that road either...just couldn't do it. Fortunately DD "passed" (don't like that word) but we did worry as the tests got nearer that we had been "bad parents" and put here at a disadvantage. Worse than that DD started to worry too when she realised all her classmates had been tutored. Very sad.

There just seems to be more and more prep....goodness knows how far it will go...
Availability of a decent alternative locally. If other non-grammars are decent options then parents may not be so inclined to push the 11+?
I think Jules7 makes a good point as this is certainly the case where I live. We have a decent upper school which most parents (myself included) would be happy for our DC's to attend. My DS is there - bright but definitely wouldn't be happy in GS so it definitely takes the pressure off. Interestingly most of us knew which DC's would be trying for GS - mostly the high achieving DC's... and a few with high achieving parents. Other parents were pretty relaxed about things.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now