Transport proposals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
IrishMum

Re: Transport proposals

Post by IrishMum »

Thanks for the link metasol. I note the method of calculating the distance includes paths (the data for which is collected from parents, apparently - presumably those parents who know about/use the paths because, perhaps, they are within the statutory walking distance). The inclusion of footpaths can hardly be argued to be appropriate for inclusion in a transport decision, it's simply not logical!

It also states "The home to school measurement is used purely to prioritise admission". Not transport, then.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

IrishMum wrote: It also states "The home to school measurement is used purely to prioritise admission". Not transport, then.
This is true - we also thought the bit about footpaths sounded a bit daft, but it is purely to ensure consistent measurement. On the basis of this we spent a few interesting afternoons investigating whether a well-known country estate had an eligible public footpath going across it as the existence of such a thing could have shaved over a mile off our distance!

Because of anomalies like this I think the powers that be are proposing to change distance measurement to straight-line from 2012.
Marylou
Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

Hi there

Hertfordshire County Council changed to straight line distances this year - it is so much more straightforward. And L B Barnet in London also use straight line distances. It must save a lot of time and discussion, I have heard of people walking down the middle of the roads with a measuring tape to prove that their walking route is shorter than the one the council says. Less room for argument with straight lines.

Last year when Herts used the other method, the pathways were only ones that were included on the council's computerised GIS system, which could change from year to year, so it was very hard to guage what route they might take, in advance of the admission process. Just because you could use a footpath doesn't guarantee the council would take it into account, very very annoying. Straight lines much clearer and easier to measure and compare.
Charl39
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

I understand that some of the Heads of the schools that have joint catchment areas are looking into this with a view to establishing whether the consultation should be held for longer and in a wider forum. The consultation seems to be being done in a very low key way at the moment. The only parents I have spoken to who are aware of it are ones who had a letter about it in their admissions pack for 2011 entry. I haven't encountered a parent who already has a child at secondary school who knows about it and if the retrospective aspect is approved, it will come as a bit of a shock to them if they have chosen the catchment school that is further away.
andyb

Post by andyb »

MrsChubbs wrote:I understand that some of the Heads of the schools that have joint catchment areas are looking into this with a view to establishing whether the consultation should be held for longer and in a wider forum. The consultation seems to be being done in a very low key way at the moment. The only parents I have spoken to who are aware of it are ones who had a letter about it in their admissions pack for 2011 entry. I haven't encountered a parent who already has a child at secondary school who knows about it and if the retrospective aspect is approved, it will come as a bit of a shock to them if they have chosen the catchment school that is further away.
We have today had letter from DS's GS head. The gist of it is that some parents may have made different choices for their DC's if they had been aware of the change to transport arrangements i.e. they may have been more inclined to opt for their closest catchment grammar. His view is that any change to transport arrangements for DC already in the school, or DC who have applied for 2011 admission prior to the changes being announced, could be construed as a change to admission criteria after the event and must be open to wider consultation. Affected parents have been urged to submit their views to the council.
KennyD

Post by KennyD »

Is there a bus between Langley to BUrnham Grammar? if so, does anyone have details/cost etc. The stops involved and time taken
Lookinglass

Post by Lookinglass »

I'm not sure if this has already been covered, but I rang admissions the other day as we are still fighting the system re school allocations but due to the gossip on the playground was worried about getting on the lists for transport (as we are at the bottom of the food chain, no school yet so no hope on getting on waiting list for school transport!) anyhow the lady went through to transport and said that BCC will only cover the costs if your catchment school is more than 3 miles and you have other social needs....otherwise they have stated you will not be eligible for the free transport and will have to pay upfront......
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The three mile thign is the current rule. The change is to not have free transport if you haven't chosen your nearest GS.
scary mum
andyb

Post by andyb »

Lookinglass wrote:BCC will only cover the costs if your catchment school is more than 3 miles and you have other social needs....otherwise they have stated you will not be eligible for the free transport and will have to pay upfront......
Yes, this is the system at the moment. DS attends his closest grammar school but because it is "only" 2.7 miles away we had to apply for a concessionary transport place (those seats left once all the eligible children have had seats allocated) and pay for the bus pass. Although it seems a lot of money it is cheaper than him taking public transport and we have the reassurance that he is dropped off and collected at the school gate. The waiting list for concessionary places usually opens around 1st April. We had to wait until October half term in Y7 for a place to become available and renewed automatically in Y8. You have the option to pay termly or annually.
mrsmum

Post by mrsmum »

Bucks have now got an expanded FAQ document on their consultation website. It does address some of the issues raised, though not all. It may be worth a read if you are affected.

Irish Mum, we are in exactly the same position as you:
Our DS has been allocated JHGS (our first choice) and although Bucks say that RGS is our nearest GS, I've used 3 different means to check and all 3 come out with JHGS nearest to us, so I have written to them to challenge it. Obviously I won't have used the same method that Bucks does, but quite why the footpath method is applicable when the means of transport is bus, not Shank's pony, is beyond me )??
This question is not addressed in the expanded FAQ and we are still showing as nearer to RGS. The team have not specifically answered my question as to what distance they calculate for us to both schools. So I have asked them again.
Had we known that transport costs might be withdrawn, we would have put RGS first - the decision for us was marginal and we would have been very happy either way. (And of course we would have got RGS this year, because everyone did ). I'll post on the forum how I get on.
The expanded FAQ suggest we might want to put our names on the waiting list for RGS! County must be very busy at the moment! Does anyone know the dates for the 2nd and 3rd round of allocations, and whether we could find out how an RGS waiting list looks in terms of distance after those rounds (I know this year they were 'all offered' in the first round, but I wonder if that may change in subsequent rounds)?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now