Distance to Burnham Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kara123

Distance to Burnham Grammar

Post by kara123 »

My DS comfortably passed the exam but missed out on Burnham Grammar in the 1st round due to living just outside the 9.998 miles. Can anyone advise on the likelihood of this distance increasing over the next rounds?

I also wonder whether an appeal is likely to be successful. Any advice will be greatfully received.
Booklady

Re: Distance to Burnham Grammar

Post by Booklady »

Pretty likely I should - we were allocated BGS as our catchment school, but DD much preferred BHS - so we are on the list for, and will appeal also for there. Someone else who posted earlier got BHS, but wants WHS. So there could be lots of movement over the next few months!

Lets hope we all get what we want in the end!! :)
mk123

Post by mk123 »

kara123
Just in case you may have not seen the allocation distances from previous years which may give you an idea what has happened historically (it is from this site):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles
colb

Post by colb »

Can anyone tell me how the distance from Burham is worked out. Is it " as the crow flies? :?: We were advised that we failed to achieve a place as the cut off distance was 9.8 miles ?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

It is calculated on the "shortest route" - more information about it here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a link to the Transport Direct website in the top RH corner of the page. The distances given on there should reflect those calculated by BCC pretty accurately, but there can be a variations where the route to the school is complex.

The actual cut-off distance for BGS in 2011 was 9.996 miles. If you believe that there has been a mistake you should speak to Admissions.

Sally-Anne
colb

Post by colb »

If we look up the "crow flies " distance to Burham Grammar it is 7.5 miles, whereas if we calculate via the route finder website it is 15 miles ! Is guess we are going to drive it this weekend to get an accurate figure.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

This is one of the problems with not using driving distances. If someone has a very circuitous route to school it can create all sorts of anomalies, and your situation demonstrates that perfectly.

There is a proposal to use "as the crow flies" distances in the Admissions Consultation for 2012 - Point 13 in this document: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/assets/conten ... cument.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mk123

Post by mk123 »

Just additional info hopefully to save you time:
I have called BCC the other day requesting our distance too. Was told that the information is only given in written. My email to enquire on this was answered very promptly!
Our distance (which is quite far) turned to be 0.78 miles less than the returned one on Transport direct link as shortest route. It was definitely easy and worth checking. Well, may be not as good for us to know that we are 0.2 miles on the wrong side of the cut off ;(
Good luck!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

mk123 wrote:Just additional info hopefully to save you time:
I have called BCC the other day requesting our distance too. Was told that the information is only given in written. My email to enquire on this was answered very promptly!
Our distance (which is quite far) turned to be 0.78 miles less than the returned one on Transport direct link as shortest route. It was definitely easy and worth checking.
Our "official" distance also turned out to be slightly closer. Still not close enough, though!
mk123 wrote:Well, may be not as good for us to know that we are 0.2 miles on the wrong side of the cut off ;(
Good luck!
Good news actually, especially over such a large distance as it means you're probably very close to the top of the waiting list.
Marylou
guest1808

Post by guest1808 »

We are 15 miles away from Burnham, my boy got place in 3 round allocation last year

Kara hope your kid will get in next allocations

Good luck