What is the best prep for the last 4 weeks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jabba7

What is the best prep for the last 4 weeks

Post by jabba7 »

Hi

Please can anyone advise what is the best prep for the last 4 weeks for the Bucks 11+?

Should we concentrate on harder papers like Walsh and Learning Lab to cover final extra hard vocab or should we go for Susan Daughtry and GL papers which I think and hope are more like the real thing?

Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks
andyb

Re: What is the best prep for the last 4 weeks

Post by andyb »

We have opted for "ticking over" using GL papers and short tests on the basis that if he can't do it now he never will and adding more pressure could be counter-productive.
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

andyb I have amended my post to give a fuller picture, I hope you are less in :shock: now. I did ask DC if she felt she had done too much tutoring / testing etc and the reply was ''possibly I did 2 tests too many, but overall it was the right amount'', so don't think we massivly over did things phew.

DC did a years' prep before the Tiffin exam doing 1 test a week for most of the year, had a month off over the summer - no 11+, and in the last couple of week in the run up to the entrance test did 2 or 3 tests a week. DC did nothing in the 3-4 days before the test as I felt it important to go in feeling as little stressed as possible. We met a child who'd got in the year before who was doing 4 tests a day in the run-up and she said she was really stressed. DC also looked at some of the vocab lists on this site, but with no real aim in mind just familiarisation - did the trick.

What are your thoughts jabba?
Last edited by Doblinski on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Bright Sparks or Gl Assesment for the last few weeks, together with reading and vocabulary work.

Walsh could be demoralising at this point.

In addition time to keep off the pasta, good for physical energy but not so good for mental ability/energy.

Patricia
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I think I will go with Patricia's advice as I can see that we need to keep confidence high so I think avoid the really hard papers like Walsh
andyb

Post by andyb »

Doblinski wrote:DC did a years prep before the surrey exams and in the final weeks did 2 - 3 tests a week, that's all.
:shock: We started familiarisation with DS2 in January/February this year and at no point has he done more than 2 tests a week (and some weeks he has done none at all). We decided with DS1 that coaching to pass a test would not be in his best interest in the long run, and stand by that decision, therefore we saw no reason to change the approach for DS2. However, I appreciate that all children are different and as parents we can only do what we feel is right for our children.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Ooh err. One test a week here plus daily tests and the tutors 20 question tests about 4 or 5 days a week. Did the same for DS1 and it worked <slightly worried emoticon>
scary mum
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

patricia wrote: Walsh could be demoralising at this point.
This would certainly be the case for DS - throwing harder vocabulary at him this late in the day would be counter productive. I managed to slip the word "dear" into conversation just before Practice Paper A! DD2 looked at me as if I'd gone mad. :lol:
Marylou
andyb

Post by andyb »

scary mum wrote:Did the same for DS1 and it worked <slightly worried emoticon>
Yep - our minimal effort familiarisation worked last time so I'm sure it will work again :?
Tree

Post by Tree »

confidence (make sure they don't do badly on any not too hard practice papers by friendly marking) vocabulary and Patricia's no pasta diet worked well for us and i lost some weight :wink:

good luck all