Unallocated places

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
guest1

Unallocated places

Post by guest1 »

Does anyone know what happens to places left at grammar schools after allocation to those that passed the 11+ tests and those that have successful appeals?. Just wondering
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest1

That is a timely question, as the size of the cohort this year is smaller than for several years. There are three ways that unallocated places can be filled.

Foundation schools, of which there are 2 in Bucks that I know of - Royal Grammar School and John Hampden - can invite children to sit their own entrance test to fill vacant places. This happened last year in late August, and was a very last minute process. Someone posted on the forum that the children invited to sit the test were selected by the schools calling local Heads and asking for a list of likely candidates, but that is just hearsay.

Secondly, some places will be filled during the year by pupils moving into the area and sitting the 11+ "late transfer test" and passing.

Any remaining places are likely to be filled by 12+ candidates who pass.

So, there may well be vacant places in Year 7 in some schools for the whole of the next academic year.

Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sally-Anne

Agree with most of your reply, except. John Hampden is not a foundation school. The two foundation grammar schools are RGS and Beaconsfield High.

Patricia
Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

That's interesting to know. It will be a shame to waste the space, i thought children who missed the pass scores by 1 or 2 should be called for the school's entrance exam and given the spaces left over

Anyway those are my thoughts, but what do i know?

Guest1
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

My apologies for the confusion. Patricia is quite correct - JHG is not a Foundation School. It was one of the schools that was undersubscribed last year along with RGS, hence my mix-up.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now