Hi purps, and welcome to the forum and to Bucks!
From the top ...
job in High Wycombe, which I've accepted. We move there in August 2011. He will, therefore, be going into Year 7 in September.
So, if you are hoping for a GS place you need to apply for 11+ testing. That should be done by email to Bucks CC as a specific request for "late testing". You should receive a test date that is within the next month, so you might like to hold off until after the Easter holiday to give you and your son a bit of a chance to prepare for the tests? It is perfectly possibly to pass with only 3 weeks prep, but a little more might help. On the other hand, it might decrease his chances of getting a place.
My current LEA have told me I have to fill in a form for this county, but with our new details and the choice of schools in Bucks - this seems to be an in-year move form??
Fill it in anyway, but check with Bucks CC that they have received the application. If not, fill out BCCs own form as well, using your current address. "Mind the Gap!", because gaps do appear betwen authorities.
She also said my application wouldn't be considered until half a term before he would be due to begin (ie. after May half term)
No, it should be considered immediately.
by which time (according to the dates Bucks CC gave me) the final allocations will be done.
And no again. Allocations continue, where possible, until August 31st if places become available, and even beyond that from waiting lists.
Then Bucks CC told me I also have to email them with some details so they can get the ball rolling. I have done, but they are VERY slow at answering emails and I haven't had a reply as yet. I have no idea if I should be doing anything else regarding applying to take the 11+.
Chase, nag and phone. They are busy people, but you need a response and should receive one. The clearer and more specific your request is, the easier it is for them to respond.
I have put RGS and John Hampden on the form, but I just have no clue if these are realistic (even assuming he passes the 11+).
RGS was undersubscribed by quite a large number on 1st March, so there is every possibility that there will be a vacant place, even in August. If not, you can go for an appeal for a place at any school.
What if he doesn't get either? Do I just have to take a non-grammar school? Am I just way too late to get a decent place?!
That could be a serious problem - the best Upper Schools are very over-subscribed in the Wycombe area.
Also - should I be going to look around the schools? Obviously we've missed all the open days but I didn't know if personal visits were welcomed.
As far as I am aware, all the Bucks GS apart from Dr Challoners GS welcome school visits at any time. I believe that DCGS will accommodate school visits when children are moving into the area.
Hope that gets you started!
(If any Bucks regulars spot a mistake, please correct it - my phone has been ringing non-stop for the last 30 minutes while I have been desperately trying to write this post.
) Even at this time of night!