Moving to Bucks - Confused by the Application Process

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

purps2474

Moving to Bucks - Confused by the Application Process

Post by purps2474 »

Hello
I wonder if anyone can help me through the maze!
I got offered a job in High Wycombe, which I've accepted. We move there in August 2011.
My son is currently in Year 6 at an Independent Prep (which he only goes to because I work at the school and so get fee remission - we can't afford to continue to send him to an independent).
He will, therefore, be going into Year 7 in September.
I have phoned both my current LEA and also Bucks CC for advice and feel confused! My current LEA have told me I have to fill in a form for this county, but with our new details and the choice of schools in Bucks - this seems to be an in-year move form?? I don't get the name of that as we're not applying for mid-year but for the beginning of the new year.. am I missing something? She also said my application wouldn't be considered until half a term before he would be due to begin (ie. after May half term) by which time (according to the dates Bucks CC gave me) the final allocations will be done.

Then Bucks CC told me I also have to email them with some details so they can get the ball rolling. I have done, but they are VERY slow at answering emails and I haven't had a reply as yet. I have no idea if I should be doing anything else regarding applying to take the 11+.

I have put RGS and John Hampden on the form, but I just have no clue if these are realistic (even assuming he passes the 11+). What if he doesn't get either? Do I just have to take a non-grammar school? Am I just way too late to get a decent place?! I notice on one of the lists of allocations here, RGS have a status of 'All Offered' - does that mean they aren't oversubscribed or they are now full?!

Also - should I be going to look around the schools? Obviously we've missed all the open days but I didn't know if personal visits were welcomed.

Sorry for all the questions!! And thanks in advance.

If anyone can advise/calm me at all please?
Sally-Anne

Re: Moving to Bucks - Confused by the Application Process

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi purps, and welcome to the forum and to Bucks!

From the top ...
purps2474 wrote:job in High Wycombe, which I've accepted. We move there in August 2011. He will, therefore, be going into Year 7 in September.
So, if you are hoping for a GS place you need to apply for 11+ testing. That should be done by email to Bucks CC as a specific request for "late testing". You should receive a test date that is within the next month, so you might like to hold off until after the Easter holiday to give you and your son a bit of a chance to prepare for the tests? It is perfectly possibly to pass with only 3 weeks prep, but a little more might help. On the other hand, it might decrease his chances of getting a place.
My current LEA have told me I have to fill in a form for this county, but with our new details and the choice of schools in Bucks - this seems to be an in-year move form??
Fill it in anyway, but check with Bucks CC that they have received the application. If not, fill out BCCs own form as well, using your current address. "Mind the Gap!", because gaps do appear betwen authorities.
She also said my application wouldn't be considered until half a term before he would be due to begin (ie. after May half term)
No, it should be considered immediately.
by which time (according to the dates Bucks CC gave me) the final allocations will be done.
And no again. Allocations continue, where possible, until August 31st if places become available, and even beyond that from waiting lists.
Then Bucks CC told me I also have to email them with some details so they can get the ball rolling. I have done, but they are VERY slow at answering emails and I haven't had a reply as yet. I have no idea if I should be doing anything else regarding applying to take the 11+.
Chase, nag and phone. They are busy people, but you need a response and should receive one. The clearer and more specific your request is, the easier it is for them to respond.
I have put RGS and John Hampden on the form, but I just have no clue if these are realistic (even assuming he passes the 11+).
RGS was undersubscribed by quite a large number on 1st March, so there is every possibility that there will be a vacant place, even in August. If not, you can go for an appeal for a place at any school.
What if he doesn't get either? Do I just have to take a non-grammar school? Am I just way too late to get a decent place?!
That could be a serious problem - the best Upper Schools are very over-subscribed in the Wycombe area.
Also - should I be going to look around the schools? Obviously we've missed all the open days but I didn't know if personal visits were welcomed.
As far as I am aware, all the Bucks GS apart from Dr Challoners GS welcome school visits at any time. I believe that DCGS will accommodate school visits when children are moving into the area.

Hope that gets you started!

(If any Bucks regulars spot a mistake, please correct it - my phone has been ringing non-stop for the last 30 minutes while I have been desperately trying to write this post. :roll: ) Even at this time of night!

Sally-Anne
purps2474

Post by purps2474 »

Wow thank you so much for the prompt and comprehensive reply. I really appreciate it. It seems there is some hope! I will get lots of papers to practice and send off the 11+ application over the Easter hols and then I'll just keep phoning the CC and hoping for the best!
It's such a huge worry thinking about the new job and also a big big move to 'big' school and the impending hurdles, especially when we've only had a week to get used to the idea so far!!
andyb

Post by andyb »

RGS allows visits - phone up for an appointment. Just be aware that it is coming up to exam season so some areas of the school/times of day may not be possible.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now