Practise papers- scores achieved

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

crunchie

Practise papers- scores achieved

Post by crunchie »

I would be interested to hear what scores were achieved on practise papers for children that qualified for a grammar school place. Sometimes we will get the odd 65/80 on a paper and then on the majority of papers 70- 73/80. Is this normal? Have any of you experienced this during practise?

Any help would be appreciated.
scary mum

Re: Practise papers- scores achieved

Post by scary mum »

Seems perfectly normal to me and in line with what my sone was achieving last year. Are you concerned with the occasional lower scores? that's why there are two papers :)

I've sent you a pm.
scary mum
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

Hi,

Similar score with my DD last year around this time..
She peaked after summer time.... but not like 78/80.. around 72-76.. some times around 70s.

There is two papers for bucks.

Monsoon.

Keep up with the daily work and I am sure it will be OK.
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

I would also say those scores were similar if a bit higher than my DD was getting at this stage last year although we really only stepped up a gear from once a week to more frequently after the Easter break.
I would aim for higher scores as you near the exam though as nerves can cause the scores to drop in the real thing due to silly mistakes. Before the actually tests DD was scoring an average of 76 with lowest 72 and highest 78. These were on the hardest papers Patricia recommends in her tackling order on this forum. DD scored 72-73 (I requested her raw scores out of interest) in the real thing which was enough to pass. However in Bucks you only have to pass on one paper so you effectively have 2 shots. Also remember that you need to take into account age so you need to aim for a higher score if your DC is born earlier in the school year (need to get 90% to pass).
My advice is to analyse where the weaker areas are and practice those more but don't worry, you have plenty of time and those scores look good!
Good luck.
Last edited by Jules7 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SingleDad

Post by SingleDad »

Hi Crunchie

Which papers are you achieving those scores in?

I'm in the same boat as you, preparing for 2012 entry. I've been going through the papers in the order detailed by Patricia in her DIY Tips section. My daughter is currently on the last few Tutors papers and will be moving onto the Bright Sparks soon. Her last 5 scores have been (most recent first) 71, 68, 73, 73, 72. Her average across all 9 Tutors papers sat so far is 71/80.

In my opinion, I think the Tutors papers are a lot less challenging, and that my daughter is making silly mistakes quite often. So it concerns me that she is scoring only around 71/80 on what I believe to be an easier paper.

Any thoughts on that anyone?
Clare

Post by Clare »

I think the NFER practise papers they do at school are a good indication.

From memory I think these will be taken in the July/September preceding the 11 plus depending on the school.

Papers 1 and 2 (Discounted paper A as it is easier)

DD1 scored 72/72 NFER scored 130/130 result (August birthday)

DD2 scored 66/76 NFER scored 118/130 result (October birthday)

DS3 scored 72/74 NFER scored 119/117 result( November birthday) -raw scores in 11 plus 68/70

Tutors are easier than Bright Sparks I feel.

Walsh were the hardest of the lot and more difficult than the real thing I would say.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now