Please can I come here for a quiet panic...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Please can I come here for a quiet panic...

Post by scary mum »

...rather than let DS know I am concerned. Bright boy who everyone assumes should pass easily (ha ha, easy to say about someone else's child :lol: ), but not scoring as he should in practice tests. Am about to go through his practice tests to see if I can see what the problem is but I suspect it's a few wrong here and here. Aaargh.

Thanks, feel a bit better now!
scary mum
hermanmunster

Re: Please can I come here for a quiet panic...

Post by hermanmunster »

Yes you are welcome to panic here ...... may find others joining in.

Deep breaths scary mum!! :wink:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'm having flashbacks now...Unscary ...my DS was scoring 21 % in his tests a couple of weeks before and I spent most of my time booing and drinking wine :oops: If he is bright and doing ok otherwise, I'm sure he will be ok on the day.See if you can find a pattern to his wrong answers, if not he might just be a bit fed up and jaded.Have you tried doing the work first thing ? I found it made a big difference ! I'm pouring you a big glass of wine and breaking off some yummy chocolate for you. :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Mmmm, thanks that's just what I needed. I've had a look & no real pattern, although there's probably a collection of about 5 types where he makes mistakes regularly so we have something to work on. I think exam technique may be an issue so I suppose practice will help that. Heigh ho (slurp, chomp).
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Do you need a high score to pass, Unscary ? It's just practice I suppose.Is he doing it under timed conditions ? Perhaps he's rushing and panicking ?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Patricia on here says they should be getting over 90% to be sure. He's not at he moment. Rushing and not panicking I think is a bit of an issue. "Finished, can I go & play now?". And why shouldn't he at the age of 10 :cry:
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'm having so many flashbacks...sounds like one of mine, Unscary. I'm sure he will pull it out of the bag on the day.Has he scored 90 % previously ? Aaaagh...this time next year I shall expect you to tell me it's all going to be ok and your son is about to start grammar . :) Have a refill.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, 100%, but those were easier tests! Cheers! Hic! I'll be here for you next year :D
scary mum
patricia

Post by patricia »

Panicking not allowed...

Which are the types does he have a problem with?

Which publisher are you using at the momment?

Patricia
vasu

Post by vasu »

Scarymum, take a step back and breathe.....I am going through exactly the same things. My 90% plus child in all papers in all subject has dropped down to 40% this week. Any paper he tackles is met with lower scores each time. I am on brink of suicide :lol: There is no pattern to his mistakes. I guess he is just fed up. I hope as the exam nears, he will get his groove back 8)
Last edited by vasu on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.