Age standardisation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Re: Age standardisation

Post by yoyo123 »

I worked for many years in a school which streamed by literacy ability.

We also had a year 3/4 class for children who had significant reading and writung delay/disorder.

i started to analyse teh data, the A stream was top heavy in "Early" born children ( sept -feb) whereas the B stream tended to have more Feb to August birthdays ( tended being an important word)

My 3/4 class however were spread fairly evenly across the year. This was over about 5 years, but the other teacher ( it was a job share) who had taught in the school for 13 years before I arrived said it was fairly stable from year to year.

there were always exceptions e.g. my sister is a late july born child but went to school reading and able to write her name and simple sentences at just over 4 , but the trend seemed to be as above
Alex

Post by Alex »

Guest55 wrote:I don't think any NEW research has been done on academic differences since all children started school at the same time. In the past the September borns had had more time in school - this is just not true anymore and I think a new research project should be undertaken.
There have been studies which have tried to separate the effects of age within cohort and length of time in school and I think most have concluded that age at testing is the most important factor. Here is one such study:
"When you are born matters: the impact of date of birth on educational outcomes in England" Claire Crawford, Lorraine Dearden, Costas Meghir
DoQSS Working Paper No. 1009
June 2010

http://eprints.ncrm.ac.uk/1286/1/qsswp1009.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes but these children have not yet been followed through for long enough ... I see the differences being less pronounced than the past.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now