92% receive one of their preferred schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
patricia

92% receive one of their preferred schools

Post by patricia »

Dear All

Out of interest.....

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/news/deta ... -412401110

Patricia
drummer

Post by drummer »

Marion Clayton, Cabinet Member for Achievement and Learning, said: "I am pleased to say that 92.4% of Buckinghamshire resident children can be offered one of their six preferred schools this year
I can't say that I think that is much to crow about - ONE of their SIX choices.

I wonder how many got their 1st preference, and I wonder how many people actually put their 1st preference because many do not as they know/think they don't have a chance.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Drummer

Yes, I totally agree. To be unable to offer nearly 8% of the children ANY of their 6 preferred schools is a dismal record. Like you I wonder how many got their first choice. Another FOI request maybe?

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think this is worse than last year too!

Many will have put Grammars first so I suspect the % that got first choice to be very small, less than 30%!
drummer

Post by drummer »

it is "slightly up on last year ...91.1%"

still pitiful and utterly misleading
hugh

Post by hugh »

You'll never get 100% getting their first choice (or even one of their choices) because some people make unrealistic choices, eg. applying only to schools that they're out of catchment for, or ranking htem in a way that lessens their changes.
drummer

Post by drummer »

Hi Hugh

You are right, and it would be interesting how many actually got their 1st choice - all we know is how many got one of their six 'choices'
March Hare

Post by March Hare »

I am curious about this too, so I have sent a request to Bucks under the FOI Act. They claim they have to respond within 20 days, so I'll post back when I hear from them.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hugh - the order shouldn't matter in Bucks as it's done on equal preference -

Post by Guest »

I was told by the head of a local secondary that is very close (2.5 miles) but just out of catchment that we would not get a place if we put a Grammar as our first choice and the secondary as our second choice. If we wanted a better chance of getting a place we would need to put it as the top of our list above any Grammar.