School Homework and the 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
no_ball

Re: School Homework and the 11+

Post by no_ball »

i second Sally-Anne's note...stress levels are at a peak around now, any help is a god send!
crunchie

Post by crunchie »

I agree with Patricia. We also do 1 paper at the weekend and the short tests in the week. This way we manage the homework situation very well.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Well said Sally-Anne. It is a very stressful time. The parents who visit this forum do so for advice. Everyone finds different ways to support their children in the last few weeks before the 11+. You should do whatever works for you and your child and not be concerned about what other people think. You will send your child off to do the exam knowing you did the best you could for them. Good luck to all your children.
Last edited by Fran17 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Y

Post by Y »

ian35mm wrote: All unrealistic amounts of work challenged by us.
Would that all teachers were reasonable. When my diligent, exhausted, then year 4, DD was overloaded with homework, I wrote in her spellings book that we'd done the 'look, cover, write, check', but that she wasn't going to do the sentences because she needed some down-time. The teacher sent the work home again, and when I politely challenged it, we had a stand up row in the playground over it. And when I had a similar encounter with a later teacher, he victimized my DD for the rest of the year. I learnt my lesson - pragmatism beats honesty any day.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Y, that's sad. Makes me thankful in some way at the scant homework our school sets. At least we are free to get on with 11+ work in peace.

But I am so intrigued. What are these yards of colouring in that are required suddenly in Yr 6? We've never had to colour anything in, except at the start of this year which involved an unseemly quantity of tiger-drawing.
Everythingcrossed

Post by Everythingcrossed »

Thanks for all the calm words, i am finding doing year 6 colouring in (art homework, pictures to go with written pieces) strangely therapeutic in reducing my "1week to go" stress!
Good luck to all the children in the next 2 weeks :D

EC
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now