12+ refusal to test and appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

aliyamusa

12+ refusal to test and appeal

Post by aliyamusa »

Hi there! We are Bucks residents and my two daughters both took and narrowly missed passing the 11+. One achieved a Level 4 in English and 5 in maths and the other achieved Level 5 in English and 4 in maths!

I intrend to apply for the 12+ retest in each case but anticipate being refused since they did not receive Level 5 in both maths and english. I wanted to know what type of evidence has been found to be useful to bring to the appeal to make grounds for the girls to have the chance to sit the 12+.

If it's of any relevance, their elder sister attends Chesham Grammar which would be the school I would like them to attend also.
Guest55

Re: 12+ refusal to test and appeal

Post by Guest55 »

What were their teacher assessments? If these were level 5s that will help. How close to the level boundaries were their test scores?

Any work you have from Primary to show they were working at level 5 will help.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi aliyamusa, and welcome!

At appeals against "Refusal to test" your evidence must all be academic. You need to convince the panels (and there will be separate hearings) that those missing level 5s are not a barrier to future success and that the girls are now achieving well at secondary school. Reports from the school, test papers marked in school and letters from teachers and senior staff are needed, plus any sustained coursework that had Level grades on it.

Guest55's advice is also very relevant.

The fact that their sister attends a GS is not relevant at this stage.

Sally-Anne
aliyamusa

Post by aliyamusa »

Thanks very much, one daughter was predicted level 5 in English and got 4. Have reviewed excellent info in Q&A section and realise that her CAT scores were also above average which helps. Other child is in gifted and talented in various subjects in current school, so all good. Will look into other points you made.
Thanks
margo11

Post by margo11 »

Hi

I am in the same predicament. My son scored 119 in 11+, and was hoping to sit 12+. He got level 5s in Maths ( he was level 5c in year 5)and Science, but only a 4 in English. He had a reading age of 13yrs 4 months at end of year 6, compared with chronilogical age of 10years 11 months, and a spelling age of 12 1/2. What else would you suggest I give as evidence?
Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Appeals against 'refusal to test' have a higher success rate but I think you need evidence that your child is working at level 5 in English now. The reading age is encouraging .. can you get scores from his Primary school or even the papers? Was his Maths a level 5a (93 or better)?

In the past two out of three level 5s were needed but now Science isn't tested formally it's harder for children with a Maths/Science strength to get En & Maths.

Have you any other data CATs etc
margo11

Post by margo11 »

Hi guest55

Thanks ever so much for your reply. Out of interest, are all applications made for late transfer, that dont have the required 2 level 5s automatically refused, or if you supply enough accademic evidence with the application can they be successful?
With regards to my sons maths levels, we werent told the exact level, just a level 5. He was working in the top 5-10% of his school, and I would have hoped it was a level 5a, but I will enquire with his junior school. We appealed at 11+, with fantastic reccomendation from his headteacher quote 'he has my total and absolute support for a grammar school education. He has always given of his best and exhibited all of the qualities necessary to indicate that a selective education would be most appropriate for him'. Would it be worth submitting this report?
Thanks for your help
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

margo11 wrote:Out of interest, are all applications made for late transfer, that dont have the required 2 level 5s automatically refused, or if you supply enough accademic evidence with the application can they be successful?
I believe that such applications are automatically refused and referred to an appeal panel, because otherwise the process could be corrupted. (Visions of £10 notes falling out of application forms ... :lol: )

I therefore doubt that re-submitting the Head's appeal statement will carry any weight at all.
margo11

Post by margo11 »

Sally-Anne

Thanks for your reply. I suppose what i meant was, at the stage of application, do they only look at the sats results, or if you supply other accademic evidence, would that be considered also? I did speak to a lady at BCC and she laid me to believe that I should supply as much accademic evidence now to support my application.
Thanks for your comments
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The reply from BCC is fairly standard, margo. You can of course submit as much academic evidence as possible, but I honestly don't think it will make a great deal of difference.

The person making the decisions will be an administrator, not be a trained teacher, able to evaluate schoolwork and levels. I can therefore see no possible way that an objective decision could be made at that stage that one case is deserving while another is not. It would be wide open to challenge. Therefore in the interests of fairness the decision has to be made on the basis of whether the SATs levels were achieved, and the decision to refuse a test handed over to an Independent Appeal Panel to rule on.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now