Are marks on the Sch practice papers close to the real thing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Marylou

Re: Are marks on the Sch practice papers close to the real t

Post by Marylou »

khanj010 wrote:can we not just ask someone who has paid for there scores (£10) from the authority and from this info then estimate a pass or fail mark based on this info...it will give many of us some kind of clue about the pass mark.
This has already been done: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=18356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To be used with caution, but it gives an idea. My DS is also January born and I am estimating he will need to score 71+, but prefer him to score at least 72 (90%) to be reasonably certain. However I'm expecting that his friend, with a September birthday, would need to get at least one point higher to score the same standardized mark. With two papers there's a chance that this will be enough for at least one of them... :?
Marylou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The score needed to qualify (please don't use the 'p' word!) for a GS place varies from year to year. Cohorts cary in size and in ability so a particular score one year only gives us a clue. If people every year pay to get their child's score we can begin to build up a database of historic scores which would be more helpful ....

Personally I can't see any point in Bucks telling you the score once you hit the 121 - it tells you very little about future success at GS.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:If people every year pay to get their child's score we can begin to build up a database of historic scores which would be more helpful ....
Even that should not be necessary. The raw scores that equate to 121 on the Sticky were obtained through a single Freedom of Information request, for which there is of course no charge.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's even better then :D :D
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

jabba7 wrote:Hi Jules

Thank you for your really helpful reply. My DS seems to mirror your DD so fingers crossed for the real thing.

So far he has scored 77 and 74. There are some tough maths on paper 1 but he did well and I am really proud of him. The Sch have graded him 1,1 so he is suitable for GS just need to get through this process. Can I be cheeky and ask if your DD comfortably passed the real thing? I am desperate for any reassurance I'm on the right path!

Khanj010, I think I have seen before that ideally you want the children scoring close to 90% as this should mean they are OK in the real thing but we will never know until its over.

My DS is off playing a football match now, the 3rd this week! I would rather we did vocal but trying to. Keep life as fun and normal as possible for him

Thanks
I will pm you!
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

hi guys time is near the big day is on thursday (bucks) im not showing my feelings to my ds but i am nervouse. he has had a few dreams each night and he says he is failing in the dreams, but i try to rearsure him to just try your best and what ever out come he tried is best. he scored in the first vr 1 test 72 second test 73 which he /we were very proud of. Ive been getting him in a good routine at breakfast as he is not a morning person , he now has porridge and is helping him to concentrate more so all you out there make sure they go to school on a full belly.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now