Standardisation methodology

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest10

Standardisation methodology

Post by Guest10 »

My son had three previous VRT CAT scores of 115,120,138 on a 100 standardised basis. I argued to equate to Bucks 11 plus test 10 points should be added to each of these scores. The Bucks official argued that Bucks do not standardise around 110. Subsequent analysis of the Bucks graph indicate that they are being economical with the truth.

Do Bucks make their score deliberately non compared with CATs? Does the appeal panel understand this point?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest10

Cant answer your question, I am sure Etienne will have some thoughts. However take a look at this link

http://www.nfer-nelson.co.uk/cat/documents/CAT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... .02.05.doc

Patricia
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not sure what training is given now, but panel members used to be strongly advised to avoid making direct comparisons between different types of test.

What helps at an appeal is to have as many different indicators as possible of very high academic ability. CAT scores with accompanying percentiles near the top of the range are useful as part of the overall academic evidence.

Beware, however, of a single isolated result. CAT scores come with the usual "health" warning: "a pupil's score is only an estimate of true ability ....." (NFER). This is why the 11+ test is repeated in October to try to get a more reliable picture (and used to be carried out three times, which was even better).
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now