How was today's paper?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Gottal

Re: How was today's paper?

Post by Gottal »

My DS did not want to give me any feed back either and kept on saying I cannot remember which I personally don't like but DH says just leave him alone as there is nothing we can do ...
dondon

Post by dondon »

"Please do not post any information about the content of the test papers because there will be late-sitters and the OoC children take the test at half term. The advantage they would gain is probably very slight, but this forum does not condone leakage of any test information."

Being new to the site I didn't know where to post this.

Is the above announcement really true - do OOC children REALLY get to sit the SAME paper as our kids two weeks later?
And yes I know that CAPITALS equals shouting!!!

Regards
Don
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes they do. There is another thread further down about it from a couple of weeks ago. Given that friends of mine have cobbled together all or most of the compound words I think there could definitely be an advantage.
scary mum
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

I am so fed up that as a Bucks Mum my DC are disadvantaged, the system really is disappointing.

I know I've said it before but any system that allows some students to sit an exam weeks after some pupils is a dodgy system.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

In almost every 11+ area the same paper is used for late testers, whether en masse, as in Bucks and other large 11+ areas or individually for new children moving into the area.

Yes, there are unscrupulous tutors who squeeze very last drop of information out of the children in order to improve the chances of OoC children scoring more highly, but to what end ...?
scary mum wrote:Given that friends of mine have cobbled together all or most of the compound words I think there could definitely be an advantage.
... it is worth remembering that people who are willing to cheat in this way, and thus get their borderline children into a grammar school are also the ones who will live with the consequences for the next 7 years. And it will only be very borderline children, or those who were going to qualify anyway, who benefit from this type of information - you cannot pass the Bucks 11+ solely on recalled information.

The amount of information that the kids recall for any individual paper is incredibly small. I quizzed DS1 immediately after he sat his 12+ paper and his recall of words was absolutely minimal and very unreliable.

DS2's cohort were squabbling in the playground over words that may or may not have come up and which answers were right when I collected him at the end of the day. Each child had their own version of the paper by then, only 6 hours after taking it.
dondon

Post by dondon »

I seem to be looking at people OOC buying or renting temporarily in the area AND sitting the exam in the 2 weeks later centralised testing. All seems a bit unfair.

On another note, help me out with the abbreviations (DS1 - dear son one?? etc).

DonDon
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

i totally agree it is all shambles! alot of my friends ds who are doing test this half term were asking my ds what sort of questions came up, there mothers were also phoning me if i could give them any ideas , but i could not be rude and say you are cheating so i just said he could not remember.
dondon

Post by dondon »

Now it's driving me mad, what is DS?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Abbreviations...

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 38&t=13507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

May be it is an unfair system, and OOC should take a different paper but what about late testers, which paper would they sit?

I agree with Sally Anne, it would be very difficult even though it may seem unfair, there is no way a child will remember so much/many qs. given that the pass mark is 87-90%. I dont think a few qs. will make a difference.