How was today's paper?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

TraffordMum

Re: How was today's paper?

Post by TraffordMum »

Please note that reference to the types of questions in today's exam is not acceptable. Any posts referring to content will be removed.

TM
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My DS would fiddle with a watch if he was wearing one! He said it was easier than expected, which, of course, far from reassuring me, makes me wonder what he missed!
scary mum
misspiggy

Post by misspiggy »

scary mum. your comment made me laugh. Our poor DC's, no matter what they tell us we're going to worry anyway! :lol:
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

My DC had a watch but left it in his desk!!

He says the paper was fine and not as hard as some of the practice ones but we will never know as we will never see it!!
gertie

Post by gertie »

As dd settles into her new school I have found my self thinking about everybody going through the same process this year...I've can't believe it's here already and strangely even get butterflies thinking about the dc's.

Just wanted to say I think it's normal to forget exactly what came up in a paper and also not to want to talk about it in any great detail. DD has an amazing memory but could remember very little of her paper! However she did say she knew she wasn't up to speed and didn't finish... became ill that evening with an ear infection/temperature, missed the second paper recovering only just in time to do it a few days later. During those in between days we did virtually no practice and barely talked about it as she needed to rest and not stress.

Your dc's still have another paper to go so confidence needs to stay up and stress levels down, this may be especially so if potentially a lot rests on the second paper as dc's will be feeling that pressure too. Also try not to analyse too much...quite a few people we know qualified on the paper which they found more difficult and vice versa.

Lastly remember to give them a big hug whatever they say about the papers...they've worked so hard and you know what they are capable of, that's really all that matters.

I wish all the dc's lots and lots of luck.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Not remembering what was in the exam is simply preparing them for senior school when they have absolutely no idea at all what they have done in lessons at all. At least nothing that they are going to tell their parents about...
burnzeazi

Post by burnzeazi »

DS went through this last year. They tend to remember only the ones where they encounter words they were unsure of and had to guess. From what he said, we worked out that he had got at least 4 wrong so it did nothing to help our nerves! Thankfully, he got through but based on my experience and my recollections of school, uni and chartered accountancy exams I would NOT recommend talking over the paper. The only thing that was an advantage was that we worked out which question types had come up and some of his favourites hadn't, so he was looking forward to an easier second paper. That could work the other way, of course!

Good luck to all and enjoy a big glass of wine when it is all over next week. Waiting for the results was definately worse.
svg123

Post by svg123 »

So, Is it confirmed that there are no overlapping of question types between papers?
For example, If there are 10 types covered in Paper-1, Is it always that the remaining 11 types will be part of paper-2?

Thanks in advance.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

svg123 wrote:So, Is it confirmed that there are no overlapping of question types between papers?
For example, If there are 10 types covered in Paper-1, Is it always that the remaining 11 types will be part of paper-2?

Thanks in advance.
No, there is inevitably a slight overlap as each paper covers 12 question types plus two type Zs - at least that is how it has worked in the past. There is also a possibility that one of the 21 types will be omitted altogether, though I suspect this is unlikely to be one of the more challenging ones...worse luck! :(
Marylou
svg123

Post by svg123 »

Thanks Marylou.
Which types are generally classified as challenging ones?

Thanks in advance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now