Message for Patience

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

I 'insist' my children at ALL times leave out the Z questions [ as stated by guest55] All papers contain 2 Zs, they can take a while to work out,as all questions attract 1 mark each, regardless of difficulty, its worth losing out on 2 marks, just to ensure all other questions are completed.
Patricia.
Can you explain which questions are the 'Z types'?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

Z questions can be split into 2 types, the term Z comes from the publishers IPS.

1] A small amount of information given, child has to answer 1 question on that information

2] A small amount of information given, child given 5 statements about that information, child must pick the statement that is true [ based ONLY on details given, NOT on what child may know or think]

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will go and investigate right now.

Post by Guest »

OK
So they were time consuming (yes I had to have a go!)
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

Some are more time consuming than others. When I time my children on these types, I vary the lengh depending on the question [ experience tells me, just by looking at a question I can give an appropriate time...how sad is that??]

Patricia
patience

Post by patience »

Thanks for clue on violin and answer to the question, and the technique of checking the first 3 letters.
patience

Post by patience »

More questions:

1) Can the expected time to finish questions of each type in VR be found somewhere? I had a rough look at IPS book and did not find it. (maybe not careful enough?)

2) will the allocation of places in the grammar school depend on the distance, even when all the candidate pupils are in catchment area? If a pupil passed 11+ but lives further away from the school (but within catchment area), does he have less chance of admission?

3) Read from newspapers that some schools, mostly private schools, are using new subject syllabus that is meant to be more challenging. Has the grammar school in Buck used or been ready to use these?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

1) Z take longest and everyone is encouraged to leave them to last. I found the speed varies from child to child - Patricia might tell you more.

2) I would suggest you read the Admission booklet for September 2007 - new one won't be massively different I suspect:
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =987793428

3) the iGCSEs don't count, at present in league tables so LA schools are not encouraged to take them!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4263600.stm
patience

Post by patience »

Any idea why RLG is doing much better on GCSE than A level? (comparison from league tables by BBC or Times)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The entry grades for the Sixth Form are quite low for a Grammar - quite a few pupils join the Sixth Form from other non-Grammar schools.
They also offer a very wide selection of courses.