Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Dear all,

My son passed with 131. I would never have expected such a good mark!
If it helps anyone, his tests results were only in order 73%, 79% and 86%. But he had lots of practice between the tests and the exam, almost a paper per day, and I think that he improved quite a bit.

All the best to everyone.

Catherine

Dear Smita

Goodluck for your appeal.

Dear kerry

Well done to your son.

To both of you - out of interest - how come you have your scores so early in the day? Are you out of area - and results came in the post?

In area schools are NOT allowed to release reults until the end of the school day.

To all others

Patricia

That wait is neally over - good luck to all [parents and children]
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Please ignore the end of my previous message; It should be there!
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

Catherine,

That is a highly respectable score - well done - many congratulations to your son. We did a two papers a week of preparation starting in the summer.

We got our results early as my son currently goes to a preparatory school.
bucksparent

Post by bucksparent »

My daughter is a bit disappointed as she missed the mark by quite a long way (and the school had said she would "be alright"). Never mind. Life goes on.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Dear bucksparent,

So sorry to hear that - I hope she is alright. It's not the easiest news to break to a child.

I spent the whole day preparing for either outcome and what to say to my son as he was deemed by the school as "borderline". They were right, he got exactly 121, could have gone either way really, my heart was racing when I opened the envelope.

Once again so sorry to hear your news.
JK

Post by JK »

Hi,

Been on this really useful website for the past 3 months, it's been a great help to see that other parents have been through the same stresses and strifes as ourselves.

Got the results back today, both my son and daughter (Twins) passed with very good results, we are all ecstatic at the results as we were worried that one may get through and the other may miss out!

Once again, this website is absolutely great and provides excellent advice and help for parents going through 'this experience'.

Regards,

JK.

:D :D :D :D
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Hi to everyone,

Well done to all who passed and bad luck to those who didn't.

For those that didn't I thought I'd give you a hopeful story. I don't live in Bucks I'm down in Sutton and will be going through this next year.

I went to Grammar school and got very good O and A levels (a few years ago now!) however my younger brother just failed and had to go to the most god awful secondary school. Many children were barely literate when they left, bullying and fighting were rife. Boys were known to ride motorbikes up and down the corridors!! He left with no qualifications to speak of as "non grammar school kids weren't meant to be academic". He got out as soon as he could got to college passed those O levels, got a BTec went to Uni got a brilliant Law degree and is now a top City Lawyer.

Ok he did this in spite of a terrible school but it just shows you that you can achieve if you want to. His old school were desperate for him to go back when they heard how well he had done. He politely declined. They had hardly had any old boys go to uni not suprising with their attitude then.

I'm pleased to say that school has been turned round now and is doing really well and is well oversubscribed.

Hope this may be of cheer to some people.
MelJ

11+ results

Post by MelJ »

Well - my daughter failed. She got 114 and 120. She is absolutely gutted. Her practice papers were 88-96% and in her home papers she got nothing less than 85%. The school have said she should have got 135.

On the first paper she was so ill. She had a streaming cold and we sent her in. We did not know she could do the paper another day. I am beside myself. I totally blame myself for her failing. She said she put her head on the paper for at least 10 mins and wanted to come home. She felt so ill.
The 2nd paper she felt under so much pressure as she knew she had done badly on the first. Some of her friends who had no hope in **** of passing have passed, and they are all laughing now. She is one of the clever ones at school and passed the Common Entrance mocks really well. My daughter is distraught.
We will of course appeal - but it is not the same - we now have three months of uncertainty.

Please can someone give me some comforting words of advice???

Thanks so much
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear MelJ

What can any one say, the whole experience has obiously left you devasted - but it isn't the end of the world. You can pick up the pieces for your daughter - starting with that appeal.

The school should have made it clear that children should not attend if they are under par [once at school they are obliged to make the child take the test. I have to assume they have it on record that your daughter was 'ill' during the test and therefore can back up your 'claim' You need to prove that your daughter under performed on the day - ie she was ill -and that her second score showed she was getting better but still under par.

You will have to be careful what you say to the school because you need them on your side. You need a good reference from them just for starters. Has she been receiving good SAT scores - appeals will be looking for evidence of level 5s [predicted and prefably already acheiving]

Talk to your head - get the forms back immediately [ I know of an appeal last year 114 got a date for 1st week in January - got a grammar school place a week later]

Good luck , Cheer up - use those unwanted feelings in a positive way - get that appeal going

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Patricia
Thank you so much for your lovely words. I have had to get a very unhappy daughter to bed and she is still crying. I feel so awful that we have put her under such pressure.
She has never done any SATS. She is at a private school; and they don't do SATS. She has school exams and common entrance mock results, aswell as the official practice papers, plus the school saying she is def grammar school material - they had her predicted as 135 in her 11+.

I honestly never ever thought I would be in this position at all - the school are very shocked too. we were so confident of her not just passing, but with a good result too.
As for the first exam - she was off the day before, so they are aware of the fact that she was ill, so fingers crossed!!
I will keep you all posted. xx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now