still confused Etienne

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
njg

still confused Etienne

Post by njg »

We are attending a late transfer appeal on Tuesday and we're not sure how to go about it!

Our sons school do not support any 12+ applicants.
He got 5,5 and 4.9 in ks2 sats.
115 11+ score.
Recent exam results are level 6 english, 5a maths, 89% french.
School reports not due until March 30th and won't be released before then so too late for appeal.

How should we present our case?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

These appeals do have a high rate of success.

You should say the school won't support any application for 12+ for anyone - you have good KS2 NC results and these fit the criteria. Have they given a reason for not testing?

I would take copies of KS2 results, Y6 report [if it states high academic levels], any books with 'post-its' showing good work e.g any levelled assessments [ the level 6 in English]

Frankly I am appalled that the school has taken this stance - I would love to know which school it is! If it is a Bucks school I would be tempted to make sure the LA know as this is not County policy!

GOOD LUCK!
njg

Post by njg »

Great Marlow School.

His head of year explained that they feel the 11+ is a good enough indicator of school placing and that they have only ever supported an application once. All they give are ks2 scores, ks3 predicitons (6,6/7,6/7) and midyis scores (band A).
I was always concerned that they wouldn't want to risk losing high performing students.

Presumably the LA only let 3 level 5s through to seperate the wheat from the chaff. The school won't release levelled work until reports go out on March 30th - too late.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The guidelines say two KS2 level 5s - which is what your child achieved! Yes they probably don't want to lose high achieving students but whatever happens I bet it has altered your view of the school!

I would contact the LA after the 12+ because it certainly is NOT policy to be obstructive - also those predictions look very low for band A - they should be KS2 plus two levels.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Best of luck for tomorrow, njg :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hope it went well - please let us know how it went.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry I missed this, njg, but you were given sound advice above.

It's shameful when schools put their own interests ahead of the individual child's.

In the light of what you've said about the school's attitude and your son's results, I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as entry to the test is concerned, and I'll eat my best hat if the Bucks panel does not uphold your appeal!
Etienne
njg

Post by njg »

No need to eat your hat Etienne!
Our appeal was upheld.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Absolutely delighted for you njg!! Well done! :D

The only downside is that I was really looking forward to insisting that Etienne eat her hat. Perhaps you could suggest to the Head of Year that he eats his instead? :wink:

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

njg

That's great! Will be hoping your child gets the qualifying score ... there are more places out there this year owing to the smaller cohort.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now