ADMISSION CRITERIA DIFFERENCE A'LEVELS -RLS /AGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

ADMISSION CRITERIA DIFFERENCE A'LEVELS -RLS /AGS

Post by Guest »

Hi,
Does anyone know why the addmission criteria for these two schools for a levels are so different?AGS requests 4 B's where as RLS will take 5 A-C's ? ie they have a wider 'open door ' policy for A'level intake. This surprises me because the BBC set the 11 plus admission criteria but it would appear for A'levels the 'rules ' are set by the individual schools.
I know for a fact a boy who had to leave AGS after 5yrs ie post GCSE 's he obtained 3 B's and 4 'C's .The school would not let him stay on for his A's .He's now in a local comp for his A's. It was quite disheartening after being in the school for so long.
So in away, it's nicer for RLS to widen their admission criteria ,as those children who don't make the 4's can still stay on; but then does it in effect have a bearing on their A' level results?
what do others think? Guest 55 can you shed any light on this?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

RLS welcomes pupils into the Sixth Form and I hear they are good at integrating new pupils.

Look at the discussion we had on this earlier. There's a difference in subjects offered too - again see the previous discussion -

AGS results may look better BUT it's deceiving as RLS outperforms in more subjects - AGS do General Studies which some Universities don't look at!

Post by Guest »

Thanks quest 55, but why are the admission criteria different? One would have thought that the BBC would set the same standard for all the grammar schools as they do for the 11 plus. Any ideas ?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No, the LA only administer entry to all schools at 11+, then to most schools at 12+ and 13+.

For Y10 and Y11 entry [assuming there are places] schools set their own exams - I used to test for KS4 entry - and again set their own Admission standards at KS5.

Post by Guest »

o.k thanks