Requesting Raw Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Re: Requesting Raw Scores

Post by Sally-Anne »

Kiwimum wrote:I wasn't going to request My DD's raw score unless we had to appeal for oversubscription - which I am expecting to have to do
The raw scores will not be of any relevance at an over-subscription (transfer) appeal. Your daughter is deemed qualified, and that is that.

The job at a Transfer appeal is to show why the particular grammar school you are appealing for is the most appropriate for your child.

Take a read of Section C of the Appeal Q&As to get more of an idea what evidence you will need.
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Many thanks Kiwimum
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

Hi Sally-Anne, I have pm'd you.
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

i am appealing so is it in my interest for requesting raw scores and having the test hand marked will this help in the appeal. has any one had of an experiance of getting it hand marked and getting another result. thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

khanj010 wrote:has any one had of an experiance of getting it hand marked and getting another result. thanks
I have personally never come across a remark leading to a different score, and I have always been told that it is very rare indeed.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I too have never personally come across a remark leading to a different 11+ score.

And it wouldn't necessarily help an appeal unless any error is significant (e.g. unless it results in a score much closer to 121).
Etienne
New Parent

Post by New Parent »

I have also sent a letter today with a cheque requesting the raw scores, however on an appeal of 119 on both papers, I'm wondering whether these scores can be used in an appeal. Can any tell me what conclusions can be drawn from the raw scores?
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

what does test paper analysis mean as there is a fee of £25 for this, if its what i think this should be included with the £25 hand marking and raw scores, as if there was any kind of mistakes they should tell us without us paying for them to analise it for extra money!
does any one agree :?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The marking by hand just tells you whether it was marked correctly.

The analysis tells you how many of each section were correct - this might help if you want to argue about specific types of question being more difficult for someone with e.g. poor eyesight.
flossie

Post by flossie »

When we appealed for dd1 we found the test paper analysis useful in that it transpired the questions that she got wrong were generally English, (her strongest subject) and that the Maths based ones were almost entirely correct.

This was helpful in that her predicted SATS made her a 4a for Maths and 5a for English so the analysis helped to prove that she was competent in Maths. We also had an Educational Psychologist report done and although it was expensive around £350 I think her name was Hilary Dinham and she works for Boroughs and in Courts too, it showed dd1's IQ was very high, breaking it down in the different areas. She stated that she felt Grammar was the most appropriate education for dd1 as well which was good.

Along with her school books, we included Maths, English Science and any other subject where work was presented neatly (with nice comments). We omitted her school reports as they were not bullet proof :wink: There didn't seem to be any eyebrows raised at this because of all of the other evidence in fact, they were probably relieved :D

dd1 had a 120 followed by a 113. When she had done the first paper she was really confident that she had done very well indeed so we told her that she could relax now (she'd been tense) and we explained to the panel thatin saying this it may have relaxed her too much!

It was stressful...but all the hard work in preparation was well worth it when her appeal was successful. We had a lot of support from this brilliant forum so make good use of it.

We were totally confident that dd1 was best placed in Grammar and that she could cope. She is very happy at BGS and doing very well indeed. Our dd2 has qualified this year but.. and I know you shouldn't compare.. I think of the two I would have expected the high score off of dd1, so don't be disheartened and go for it!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now