13 plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Re: 13 plus

Post by Sally-Anne »

slough mum wrote:Has anyone with a level 4 (1 mark away from level 5) been agreed to testing from Bucks CC?
Yes, there have most certainly been successful Appeals to Test on Level 4. Usually it would only be Level 4 in one subject, but occasionally it might be both, depending on the details of the individual appeal.
I know you can appeal but I suppose it can go either way.
Indeed. Unfortunately there is very little firm information about the Appeal to Test process for those Bucks GS that are "going it alone" on the 12+/13+ in future.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

DC achieved a Level 5 in Reading, Level 4 in Writing, and overall Level 4 in English. Maths was a Level 5.

So I can assume DC will be refused testing for Bucks 13+ and I will have to appeal. What evidence is required to appeal for testing?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

As much up-to-date evidence as you can provide, plus the evidence that the English Level 4 was only 1 mark short in Y6.

That applies to appeals heard by BCC panels in future.

Unfortunately we have no idea what will happen at appeals/appeal reviews where schools are running their own tests and appeal process in future.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

I received a letter today from BCC refusing my child to sit the 13+ because two level 5's were not achieved in SATs. I will be appealing but need some advice. (They achieved a level 5 in Maths, level 5 in reading but level 4 in writing, overall for English level 4).

Do I need to provide evidence why my child didn't receive a level 5 in English or should I show evidence of how well my child is performing, their predicted grades at end of Year 8 results and their suitability of a grammar school? Or do I need to get a letter from their current school head teacher. Please advise.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

slough mum wrote:Do I need to provide evidence why my child didn't receive a level 5 in English
Not unless there was a very clear and specific reason, such as a prolonged absence from school or there is a learning disability present. This could be a rather negative route to pursue otherwise.
or should I show evidence of how well my child is performing, their predicted grades at end of Year 8 results and their suitability of a grammar school?

Yes, this is a far more positive route. School reports and up to date "working at" levels will help as well.
Or do I need to get a letter from their current school head teacher.
Yes, if they will provide one and support the appeal. A letter from a form tutor or other appropriate teacher would be fine as well. Anything you can obtain beyond "I, the parent, think s/he is able and therefore should be allowed to take the test."
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

I have received the letter refusing my child to test for the 13+ because they did not achieve a level 5 in English and I have also received the appeal to test application form.

I am putting all my evdience together to submit with the application form, will the below be sufficient or do I require anything further:

1. End of Year 7 Results
2. End of Year 8 Targets
3. Letter from English teacher showing progress made during year 7 and 8
4. Application form

Should I get any more letters from the other subject teachers or Head Teacher? Do I need to justify why my DC didn't achieve a level 5 in English for SATs in year 6 (that is why they refused testing) or should I focus on the progress DC is making and has made since year 6.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What was the KS2 teacher assessment for English? if that was a level 5 then put a copy of the Year 6 report in.

Otherwise evidence that achievement is 'in line' with pupils in Year 8 at a GS i.e. achieveing a colid level 6 or better in both English and Maths.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

KS2 TA was a level 4 in English so won't be using this as evidence.

DC is currently a level 6B in Maths and a level 5A in English, will this go against them? Do they have to be a level 6 in both Maths and English at the end of Year 8 or start of Year 8?

Should I submit any other evidence?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A 6c would be better - what is the end of year target for English? Will the English teacher talk about rapid progress?
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

I will speak will try and speak with the English teacher this week and see what I can get from them or from the Head Teacher. This week they will also be issuing school reports so will see what that states.

Do I need to justify why DC achieved a level 4 in English, that was the reason they refused testing?