12+ help, advice and support

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sana15

12+ help, advice and support

Post by sana15 »

Hi all
I thought I would start a post for all us parents who's children will be sitting the 12+. I hope we can help and support each other.

I have registered my daughter online. However I know I will have to appeal for her to take the test as she got level 4 for teacher assessment in writing. Also will be starting home tuition hopefully during half term.
anotherdad

Re: 12+ help, advice and support

Post by anotherdad »

Our experience was not to start tuition too early and not to do very much. My daughter had previously sat the 11+ and got back into the style of questions very quickly after over a year away from them so tuition in the pure sense wasn't needed. We felt it was more important she settle in and be at her best in her upper school so only did a few 10-question practices each week. We then did some 30-minute practice papers in the fortnight before she sat the 12+ test in February.

It worked. She did very well at upper school and wasn't distracted by 12+ preparation. The difference the 16 months made was marked. She was a handful of marks short of 121 at 11+ and got almost the maximum score on the 12+ with only the practice I outlined above. It might not work for everyone else but I would certainly be careful about affecting an important settling-in period at a new school by overdoing 12+ preparation. There's also the message it could send to the child too.
sana15

Post by sana15 »

Hi anotherdad that was very helpful, I thought I would just work through the 12+ bond book with her, and do a few exercise every weekend. Thanks
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

nas3434 i want to apply for the 12+testing but where do i do this, as i phoned up the council they said to do it on line but i dont know which form to fill, is it the in year admissions form? As im applying for the bucks schools which are doing there own testing ,but i have been told i still need to fill in the school preferance form by the 31 st oct. Help!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi khanj010

The Late Transfer details on the BCC website are in a slightly obscure place. Instead of being under "Admission to Secondary Schools" where they were previously, they now appear under "Grammar Schools & 11+". Not exactly intuitive if you are looking for information about the 12+ and 13+!

Anyway, the online application form for 12+ test applications and the CAF are here (at the bottom of the page): http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/a ... _2013.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Hope that helps.

S-A
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

Thanks Sally-Anne for the info.
Can you tell me where i can find more info about the test itself eg how many questions , what format will it be, the timing and also i heard there are up to three other techniques they have included to this is this true?
I am worried that after nearly 1 year we have not gone through the papers, and that the timing of the test is the issue.
Can you also buy 12+ books as i have no idea where you can get these. thanks
Caryn

Post by Caryn »

Hi Khanj010,

The 12+ has 85 questions to be completed in 45 minutes. There is just one paper. It was in February.

I believe the format is very similar to the 11+ although the answer paper differs slightly as it just has the lettered boxes to put a line through, i.e. a, b, c etc, with no other wording from the question sheet.

My DC hadn't done the 11+ so worked through the relevant 11+ books/techniques & vocab, vocab, vocab!! I believe there were a couple of additional questions, but examples of these were sent with the 12+ pack from Bucks CC (very basic information was provided to be honest) and, from memory, I don't think they were too difficult. There was quite a simple maths one.

Hope that helps.

Caryn
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thanks for taking the time to post that, Caryn.

There is information here that you will find helpful, khanj010 : http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... -procedure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

Thanks caryn for the reply. I have just read the info suggested by Sally-Anne and yes it was helpful but are there not any good sites where we can test them on there speed for this?
And any more info on the additional type questions, please ,
thanks
sana15

Post by sana15 »

Hi does anyone know when the right to test appeals are held and if they are the similar to the 11+ non qualification appeals. Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now