Is SWBGS less selective than it once was?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Cranleigh

Is SWBGS less selective than it once was?

Post by Cranleigh »

I was speaking to a SWBGS parent earlier this week. They told me that they thought standards have declined after the school became 'less selective'. They went on to say that it used to be much tougher to get in and the academic selection criteria were tougher?

I have a feeling this is an urban myth and thought this was a good place to ask. My thanks.
Guest55

Re: Is SWBGS less selective than it once was?

Post by Guest55 »

Pupils are selected for a Bucks GS by the 11+ which has not changed for a number of years. The proportion of children selected stays around 30% each year.

I should think it is unlikely that the make-up of children has changed and this is probably another urban myth!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

My eldest DS is now in Y12 and the selection criteria have been exactly the same for all Bucks Grammars ever since he sat the 11+. There has certainly been no "dumbing down" of the selection process since 2005.

Once upon a time I believe that there was a "final tie-breaker" by score, but I believe it came after several other allocation criteria such as distance.

G55 is correct that the proportion selected via immediate qualification (i.e. scoring 121+) is consistent at around 30%, and successful appeals increase that to around 35%, but even the number of successful appeals is pretty consistent every year, so that can't account for it.

Urban myth, and possibly a degree of bragging: "It was so much more difficult to get in when my (incredibly bright) child qualified ..." :roll:
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

Thank you, interesting.
ks

Post by ks »

There is some truth in the myth. There was a wider catchment area, as I know some people who used to be in it but are no longer. I'm not sure if it was then done by highest score in the catchment or a higher cutoff (131 was mentioned anecdotally). It did mean that Marlow parents were understandably annoyed that their kids "passed" but not with high enough scores to get a place.

The last year for which this was in place was 2002 or thereabouts.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

As I understand it, the system pre-2005 was quite simply for score to be used instead of distance as the main tiebreaker after catchment, siblings, etc. - i.e. starting with the highest score and working backwards towards 121, instead of starting with the closest distance and working outwards as is the case now. This became Chinese-whispered into the rumour that you needed at least 130 to have a chance. Obviously having a high score helped, but it really depended on what scores everyone else in the oversubscribed pool had and the number of places available.
Marylou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Only some schools selected on score eg DCGS but this was phased out long ago - last year's Year 13s were the last cohort I think.

One for the urban myths sticky!
newbucksdad

Post by newbucksdad »

It would interesting to compare the GCSE/A-level results of the "highest score" and "distance" cohorts. Some of the GSs do seem to be keen on "highest score" as far as 12+ is cocerned. There doesn't seem to be any sign of it coming back at 11+, but I wonder if the new freedom of academies to choose their selection criteria - and the relentless pressure for results - will lead to highest score being reintroduced over time?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The 2010 GCSEs were the first for the new 'distance' criterion.

However that does not mean that all the intakes are 'equal' or even 'more equal'.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now