Second chance appeal?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wodev

Second chance appeal?

Post by wodev »

Hi

Asking for a friend. Her daughter took the 11+ and got marks of 120 and 115, but failed at appeal. To add salt to the wound, the poor girl has not been allocated ANY school today.

Given that the admissions radius appears to have widened this year (having just seen the allocation profiles), is it worth asking Bucks CC to reconsider the appeal? With a score of 120, it seems so close...especially as she can see her preferred GS from her bedroom window!

Thanks for any advice
Sally-Anne

Re: Second chance appeal?

Post by Sally-Anne »

wodev wrote:Asking for a friend. Her daughter took the 11+ and got marks of 120 and 115, but failed at appeal. To add salt to the wound, the poor girl has not been allocated ANY school today (she applied via Berkshire where her dad lives but lives in Bucks with her mum - it's complicated)
I can't see how it can be that she has not been allocated any school at all. There are several Upper Schools in different areas of Bucks which are "All Offered" and therefore will have vacant places. Even if none of them were on the CAF, the LA still has a duty to offer her a place somewhere. The parents need to get on the phone to the LA sharpish to find out why she has not been allocated anything. It does almost sound as though she may have fallen through a gap because of the two addresses.
Given that the admissions radius appears to have widened this year (having just seen the allocation profiles), is it worth asking Bucks CC to reconsider the appeal? With a score of 120, it seems so close...especially as she can see her preferred GS from her bedroom window!
I am afraid not. The only way that you can apply for a re-hearing is if there was a procedural error in the original appeal. That is explained more fully here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If there are vacant places at grammar schools (which there always are in Year 7), so be it. They will not admit further children just to fill the places, even those scoring 120.

I am sorry it isn't better news on that front, but if there is a problem with the allocation I am happy to help to try and sort it out.

Sally-Anne
drummer

Re: Second chance appeal?

Post by drummer »

Why did she apply via Berks if actually living in Bucks - surely, in that case, the Dad's Berks address must have been used? The LA can only process applications based on the information provided.