Buckinghamshire home to school transport again

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
drummer

Re: Buckinghamshire home to school transport again

Post by drummer »

MrsChubbs wrote:Absolutely agree. If u applied to closest school and didn't get place u should be entitled to free transport. Also see front page of bucks free. Interesting thought just crossed my mind, if an upper school can teach a grammar school qualified child surely a grammar can teach an upper school child.......
What's that noise??? Oh, just a huge can of worms being cranked open..........
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have just glanced at the front page of the Bucks Free Press (too cheap to buy a copy) and there is a lady in the article who didn't apply to their catchment school (Holmer Green Senior School) because she knew that there was no hope at all of gaining a place there. Instead she applied for the non-catchment school. However, because she has technically not been refused a place at HGSS, BCC can now cheerily charge her for transport.

(I hope I got most of that right - it is from memory and the article isn't online yet because they want to flog paper copies on the strength of it.)
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Nearly right Sally-Anne, I bought the paper. She actually applied to her catchment school (which her elder daughter already attends) because she thought that would give her entitlement to free transport as it was her catchment school (foolish idea I know) and had no idea that Holmer Green was her nearest geographical school because no-one in the village has ever gone there and consequently no school buses have ever run through the village to that school. Poor woman is now realising what so many people I have spoken to over the last year are now realising that you are no longer entitled to free home to school transport if your child is attending or going to attend your catchment school that is further away than a non catchment school.
My earlier attempt about "my child wouldn't have got into that school anyway" was met with "well that appeal would only be considered if you had put down that school first and not got in". Why would I have put that school down when my catchment schools are fine and I had no idea they were going to separate admissions from transport. This was nearly two years ago. I am not a psychic! Sorry Madam, it is policy.
Rant not nearly over yet...............
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thanks for the correction, Mrs C. I wasnt sure how long I could decently spend reading a copy without buying one. :lol:

It will pop up online eventually and we can link to it then,
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Sally-Anne wrote:Thanks for the correction, Mrs C. I wasnt sure how long I could decently spend reading a copy without buying one. :lol:
Libraries usually keep copies of local papers. :wink:
Marylou
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Bucks free press obviously realise this topic is going to sell a lot of copies!
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

Free transport to the nearest qualifying school, where the pupil lives within the statutory walking distance from school and where, due to the nature of the route, they are unable to walk in reasonable safety even when accompanied.
Thank you Scary Mum for the link to this which I have read before but from reading it I assume that as the school is not his nearest qualifying school (apparently our nearest is out of catchment and one that no one in our village would think of putting down, I was surprised when it came up as being our nearest) he would not get free transport even if the route is safe or not. Therefore should I have got a letter requesting payment to secure a place on the bus???? He is in Year 8.

I have received a letter for my DD (current Year 6) saying she is not entitled to free transport - which we already knew.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I thought people might be interetsed in the (non) reply I received from our MP, Dominic Grieve. To be fair I knew that it is nothing to do with him, but at least he replied (in the end):
Dear Ms Scary

Thank you for your email in which you raise your concerns about the changes to home to school transport being implemented by the County Council. I apologise for my oversight in not replying to you when it was first sent.

I can, however, assure you that I am entirely sympathetic to the anxieties that you are raising about the changes being brought in and the manner in which the policy is being applied. I am aware of the considerable disquiet about these changes and I have raised constituents concerns with the Council on many occasions since the policy was first proposed. It comes as no surprise to me that many constituents have serious concerns about how this policy will affect them.

You will appreciate the power to determine this matter is entirely in the hands of the County Council. I have, therefore, taken these matters up directly with the County Council and will ensure they are fully aware of the strong concerns you, and other constituents, have raised with me.

With best wishes,

Yours sincerely

Dominic Grieve
scary mum
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Well it was worth a try Scary Mum! At least you got a reply, I am still waiting to hear back from both admissions and my MP! If enough of expresses our disdain, who knows somebody might listen (or start to worry about their majority - evil laugh)
drummer

Post by drummer »

http://www.facebook.com/groups/436749346353224/

A Free Home School Transport Facebook group
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now