12+ (Sats Levels)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
drummer

Re: 12+ (Sats Levels)

Post by drummer »

Lillie wrote:The Year 6 papers are marked externally I believe. Do they come back with these sub-levels in the SATs scores or will it just be Level, 4, 5 or whatever?
just main level 4 or 6 etc
justkeepmoving

Post by justkeepmoving »

yes drummer - i agree grammar school is not for everyone - i have one at upper & one at grammar we are all happy with that - but just wanted to bring that point up - the dc in question did not pass 11+ due to nothing more than nerves on the day so no major mitigating circumstances to help an appeal - but once they started at upper school was obviously not in the right place for them - took 12+ and sailed through with very high score
Harrison

Post by Harrison »

This year the Year 6 writing SATs is being assessed differently to previous years and is teacher assessed throughout the year. So it is not clear to me how they can combine a child's teacher assessed writing level with an externally marked reading paper score? Does anyone know if there is a plan to give an overall English SATs level or will reading and writing be reported separately this year? In which case I'm assuming a level 5 will be required in both?
andyb

Post by andyb »

When DS1 did Y6 SATs we were given 1 level for English (maybe it said Literacy, I can't remember) which was the average of the reading and writing papers. We know his reading is stronger than his writing so I asked the school for the level for each part and they were happy to provide that - he did not get L5 in both parts but that has not precluded him from excelling at GS. I imagine it will be done in a similar way this year, the only difference being one aspect is internally marked and the other teacher marked.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In the past the overall English level was calculated by adding the two scores. There won't ba a writing score and it will be interesting to see if they come up with a way of giving an overall level!
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

So if DC is 1 mark away from a Level 5, I take it they willl have to appeal. And as it is only one mark it is likely to be a success?
drummer

Post by drummer »

slough mum wrote:So if DC is 1 mark away from a Level 5, I take it they willl have to appeal. And as it is only one mark it is likely to be a success?
Do you mean 1 mark ( how would you know?) or 1 sub-level (still a big gap)?

The chances of success depend entirely on the evidence you provide as to the child's academic ability and perhaps why they did not achieve a Level 5 which is regarded as a minimum standard expected by GS suitable children.
An appeal to test is just like a qualification appeal except that the bar is set lower, ie it is easier to win an appeal to test as they are simply trying to ascertain whether there is a reasonable chance that the child could qualify given another chance at the test.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The Secondary school gets the marks and Primary schools will often tell you the mark if you ask. We got our DC's papers back too.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

I have my DC year 6 sats results, got a level 5 in maths and level 4 in english (1 mark away).

DC currently in year 7 and is working at a level 6 in maths and level 5 in english. Is it possible for BCC to refuse my DC to sit the 13+ because they were a level 4 in english at the end of year 6?

Do I need to give the year 6 results or can I give year 7 results considering it is for the 13+?

My DC was given the results as in level and how much they scored along with the banding for level. They were given the back the papers in class but had to return them back to the teacher at the end of the day. I never got to see the paper.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes they will refuse and you can appeal. The 'refuse to test' appeals are easier to win because panels usually let the test decide.