12+ (Sats Levels)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

slough mum

Re: 12+ (Sats Levels)

Post by slough mum »

I spoke with BCC regarding the criteria for 13+ for Feb 2013, I had asked whether the criteria will remain the same as last year but was told that I need to wait until Sept 2012 when they will publish the criteria on their website.

I don't know whether the criteria will be the same as previous years or is it likely to change for next year!
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

This year they did the appeals for refusal to test at the end of Dec. But the test was on 4th Feb.

When did the parents find out if they were successful in the appeal and did these children still manage to sit the test on 4th Feb or was an alternative date given?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

They found out within a week of the appeals, and the children took the test on 4th Feb.

Most parents started to help their child prepare around October half-term, not knowing if the child would be able to sit the test. I know of one appeal that was unsuccessful where the child had been doing practice papers (not intensively, but a few here and there) since September. Very sad.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

This is very sad. They should tell us sooner.

Who are the panel members who sit in these appeals?

When I sumit my application and they will ask for year 6 sats, can I provide recent year 7 results or year 7 school report, and maybe then they can make a decision rather then going through the appeal process?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is the rule I'm afraid; just prepare for an appeal. If Year 7 levels are good then the appeal should be a formality.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Does anyone know who the appeal panel member are? (from BCC or school teachers?)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

slough mum wrote:They should tell us sooner.
I agree that the timing is not ideal. The test used to take place at Easter, and the timing worked out OK then, but it was brought forward to February half term, and then to early February, while the deadline for applications, and therefore appeals, has remained the same.
Who are the panel members who sit in these appeals?
Volunteers - members of the public, school governors, ex-teachers, etc. The profile tends to be people in their 40s, 50s and 60s. Some will have become panel members because they have been through an appeal for their own child. Each panel will have one lay member (no experience of education, other than as a parent) and one non-lay member (someone with experience of education). The third member can be either.
When I sumit my application and they will ask for year 6 sats, can I provide recent year 7 results or year 7 school report, and maybe then they can make a decision rather then going through the appeal process?
You can certainly submit both, but I have never been sure if it would make any difference.

I suspect that the rule about Level 5s is adhered to very strictly for the 12+, where the child has taken SATs.

For the 13+ I think there may be a little more leeway - after all, for a child who has not taken SATs at all, the Y7 evidence would have to be considered, because the rules specify that "the most recent school report" is required, and therefore a more subjective judgement is clearly being made somewhere in the system for those children.

Unfortunately the cynical part of me still thinks that BCC does not want to be seen granting the right to take the test to any children who did not achieve the required SATs level, and the default is to refer those cases to an appeal panel.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

I hope they make changes for next year, but I'm not counting on it!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now