Out of County - help needed please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Booklady

Re: Out of County - help needed please

Post by Booklady »

Passmark is 121- needs to be scored on at least 1 of the two papers - no benefit in Bucks in scoring above that as it is then done entirely on catchment, siblings and then distance.

Check out previous allocation distances to see whether you are in with a chance once qualified.I think that link is posted higher up the responses.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You won't stand much chance on DCGS as you are not in catchment. Look at the allocation profiles as it tells you how far they offered. However do note that 2010 was a 'one-off' on distances and due to some strange factors unlikely to be repeated.

'All offered' means all those who qualified got places - do bear in mind the travelling though.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have updated the Allocation Profile to include the 2012 distances.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only schools that he would stand a chance of receiving a place at are Aylesbury Grammar, Sir Henry Floyd and Chesham Grammar. As Guest55 has said, you are much too far away to stand a chance of getting a place at Challoners.

I would urge you to think very, very carefully indeed about the travel time. Although you say you would drive your son to school, you would be spending nearly 2.5 hours a day in the car, every school day for 7 years. Public transport is not a realistic option either - Aylesbury is a journey of at least 80 minutes, perilously close to the recommended maximum journey time of 90 minutes, and Chesham is over 2 hours, which is impossible.

Although there are pupils at the Aylesbury schools who live almost as far away as you, their travel time is significantly shorter (around 45 minutes) because the routes are more direct.
petlover

Post by petlover »

As far as transport goes, there is a public bus from Tring which drops off close to AHS and AGS. My daughter is in year 9 at AHS, and has several friends in her year group who travel from Tring. One friend has a younger brother in year 7 at AGS too.
consultjai

Post by consultjai »

Sally-Anne wrote:I have updated the Allocation Profile to include the 2012 distances.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only schools that he would stand a chance of receiving a place at are Aylesbury Grammar, Sir Henry Floyd and Chesham Grammar. As Guest55 has said, you are much too far away to stand a chance of getting a place at Challoners.

I would urge you to think very, very carefully indeed about the travel time. Although you say you would drive your son to school, you would be spending nearly 2.5 hours a day in the car, every school day for 7 years. Public transport is not a realistic option either - Aylesbury is a journey of at least 80 minutes, perilously close to the recommended maximum journey time of 90 minutes, and Chesham is over 2 hours, which is impossible.

Although there are pupils at the Aylesbury schools who live almost as far away as you, their travel time is significantly shorter (around 45 minutes) because the routes are more direct.
Thanks Sally-Anne for your suggestions on travel. Will that be a good idea if i do not mention DCGS on my preference list at all? what happens if my DS fails to get a place in the listed 3 GS's? will he be considered for other GS's in Bucks even if they are not mentioned on the preference list of 3?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

consultjai wrote:Will that be a good idea if i do not mention DCGS on my preference list at all?
Yes, it would be a completely wasted preference because there is no hope whatsoever of your son getting a place there.
what happens if my DS fails to get a place in the listed 3 GS's? will he be considered for other GS's in Bucks even if they are not mentioned on the preference list of 3?
No, he won't. However, based on past performance there is every likelihood that he will gain a place at one of those three schools if he qualifies.

With only three preferences on the CAF you have to play a very careful game indeed. As an example, you might put your preferred Bucks GS first, followed by your preferred non-Bucks school where there is a chance of getting a place and finally the best available school where you can be absolutely certain of getting a place (the "safety bet").

Alternatively you might put two Bucks GS down, and then the "safety bet". Please remember that Bucks is the exception to the new Admissions Policy - unlike most areas, you will not have the results of the test before you complete the CAF.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Message deleted at Guest55's request.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:Message deleted at Guest55's request.
G55, this is the thread about Dunstable - the Scottish thread has been split from it because it was all becoming too confusing.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Indeed! Please delete my post ...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Done, although I have allowed my post to stand just in case anyone else gets confused.