Moving to Bucks for Year 6 and 11+ exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Re: Moving to Bucks for Year 6 and 11+ exams

Post by Sally-Anne »

JW2016 wrote:I wonder if children at this age can be clever enough and do badly on the test in order NOT to get into grammar and join their friends.
Oh yes, most definitely! Many years ago I sat the exam for an independent school in London, along with two friends. We all hated the place on sight and deliberately flunked the exam.
I think that the VR/NVR test uncertainty would work to DS's advantage.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that?
1. In Bucks everyone will sit 11+ and many classmates would go though the same ordeal, whereas in Berks, there may be 2-3 boys from his class that will take the test and parents would be secretive about it.
This is where the forum comes in - to break the conspiracy of silence, at least on test content. Also, the parents may be secretive, but the kids will talk, you can rely upon that.
2. It is easier and less traumatic to break friendships at 8 than at 10. At 10 they might already have girlfriends :oops:
I'm not sure that there is much difference between 8 and 10. I can only think of one boy who had a "girlfriend" at that age. I don't think they actually went out anywhere together though! It was just a sort of conceptual thing, and lasted a couple of weeks.
3. Generally less pressure before the exams in Bucks.
I am afraid that isn't the case. Yes, the test is easier, but with virtually every child taking the test, the atmosphere in some schools can become horrendously stressed in September and October.
JW2016

Post by JW2016 »

Thanks Sally-Anne, by saying that the VR/NVR uncertainty would work to DS's advantage I meant that I believe in his innate ability more than in his dilligence for preparation :)

One more question re out of county applications. Assuming he passes 11+ but there are no places available at any Bucks grammar. If we then move to Chesham or Aylesbury for in-year transfer, would he get on the waiting list and get a place once some Y7 child moves to another school? Would that waiting list extend to Y8 for 12+ transfer or he would have to take the test again (the 12+ test)? Of course while waiting for a place in Y7 or Y8 he would have to be at another school or home schooled. Actually, I imagine that this strategy should work for any grammar school for in-year transfer.
JW2016

Post by JW2016 »

Actually, I had a look at the admission procedures and it appears that it is possible to:
1. Take the test
2. Put the out of county address on CAF
3. Move to Bucks after test results but before scound round of allocations
4. Notify Bucks Council of the new address
5. Hope for a place in the second round or
6. Get on the waiting list and wait till December in Y7 or
7. Apply for in-year place, which requires taking additional tests (English and Maths) and Level 5 from KS2; places are then allocated based on score.

Seems like 100% guarantee for out of county candidates who pass 11+, and choice does not have to be limited to CGS and SHFGS.

Unless I am missing something...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

JW2016 wrote:Actually, I had a look at the admission procedures and it appears that it is possible to:
1. Take the test
2. Put the out of county address on CAF
3. Move to Bucks after test results but before scound round of allocations
4. Notify Bucks Council of the new address
5. Hope for a place in the second round or
Yes, but some schools don't allocate places in the second round because they are full.

Also, Dr Challoners boys requires you to be resident from 1st April of the year preceding that of proposed admission, so 18 months ahead. The rule was introduced precisely to prevent the situation you outline, where people were either renting houses cloes to the school ahead of the results, or waiting for the results and then moving to the very doorstep of the school and gaining places, leaving long-term residents out in the cold.
6. Get on the waiting list and wait till December in Y7 or
Not quite sure what you mean here? If you mean "hope for a place", there is rarely any significant movement after the second round for any of the schools. You would be waiting in vain.
7. Apply for in-year place, which requires taking additional tests (English and Maths) and Level 5 from KS2; places are then allocated based on score.
You can only apply for in-year testing for Y7 if the child has not previously taken the 11+. Otherwise you are looking at the 12+ for Y8 entry and the only schools that routinely have places for 12+ children are CGS and SHF, so you are back where you started from.
Seems like 100% guarantee for out of county candidates who pass 11+, and choice does not have to be limited to CGS and SHFGS.
If it was that simple, we would be out of work on the Appeals section.
JW2016

Post by JW2016 »

Many thanks Sally-Anne, but still if there are no places left at CGS or SHFGS after the first round, but usually are in the second round, it would make sense to move close to CGS for the second round.

But I am indeed back to square one. Since you mention that there is little movement after the second round and then 12+ need to be taken for Y8 even if 11+ had been passed before, applying as out ouf country is too unpredictable. On top of that, if we tried for Reading School, we would have to be resident in the designated area until allocation, which effectively makes is impossible to move for the second round in Bucks. Can't have the cace and eat it too!

Unless you can, if you move to Bucks for 11+, wait for the score and then, if not passed, move back to Berks (also knowing the Reading score) to meet the residency requitement which is by January. Although I would find it quite unusual if a child failed Bucks 11+ but passed for Reading School.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Move to Maidenhead with an SL6 post code :D
Children from there are in catchment for some for the Bucks Grammars as well as Reading and the Slough Consortium.
JW2016

Post by JW2016 »

Yes, certainly a good strategy, also solving the problem of commuting for Y6! The major drawback is that you can express only 3 preferences on CAF, while Wokingham has 4 (and Bucks 6) and the choice of location is quite limited as allocations for SWBGS were historically up to 4 miles, excluding most of Maidenhead.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

JW2016 wrote:Yes, certainly a good strategy, also solving the problem of commuting for Y6! The major drawback is that you can express only 3 preferences on CAF, while Wokingham has 4 (and Bucks 6) and the choice of location is quite limited as allocations for SWBGS were historically up to 4 miles, excluding most of Maidenhead.
SWB may be a problem, but JHGS has loads from Maidenhead (and also this September a lot from Marlow who want boy only schools).
StacatoMum

Post by StacatoMum »

This is what we are in the process of doing, DS1 is in Y5. From my last post March time, we've decided do the move now.

I did hope to do it next year after Y6, since DS1 would be less likely upset since everyone would be leaving the school by then- we thought of it a bit disruptive. Yet again, we learnt that if we do so there would be less placements on the 2nd or even3rd round. Thought of taking 12+, hoping it would give DS1 more time to revise but that won't be good enough if there aren't enough space to offer.

Oh well, I am keeping my fingers cross that we get to complete 20th of June and our 1st preference for primary school would give both my boys a place at the tail end of this term (DS1 still in Y5) so that they would be the one to sort his 11+ application and the rest of it. Really praying hard on this decision. Else DS1 might end up going back to school Y6 and missing the whole month of July (yipes!).

Sliding in a question: Am I right with what I am getting from here, it's more difficult to get in AGS than Sir Henry Floyd? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

StaccatoMum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now