Bucks 11 plus changes - any news?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TraffordMum

Re: Bucks 11 plus changes - any news?

Post by TraffordMum »

Sally-Anne wrote: It is logistics such as these which lie behind the fact that in all areas (e.g. Kent, Lincs, etc) where the bi-partite system of education was retained (e.g. Kent, Lincs, etc), a single, central test exists.

I think Trafford is an exception to this, S-A, although granted, it is much smaller than Bucks or Kent.

Still totally grammar/secondary. 7 grammar schools. 7 separate entrance exams. Lots of out of borough applications.
Garnett

Post by Garnett »

I spoke to two different ladies at BCC when I first heard about the changes (daughter in Year 4). The first lady was very helpful and told me to keep checking the BCC website. Later in the day, I had another question and spoke to another lady, who spoke to colleagues and advised that there would not be an announcement until January 2013. I was shocked to say the least !
Last edited by Garnett on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Garnett wrote:there would not be an announcement until January 2013.
I think this is completely unacceptable. We parents need to keep the pressure up! Would putting the concerns to local councillors be a possible first step, followed by making Bucks MPs aware of the situation? Of course the reason why they are not prepared to make an announcement until January might be because they don't think they'll have worked it out themselves until then. :roll:
Marylou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's nothing to do with Bucks CC - the discussions about new tests are among Headteachers.

Another drawback of becoming Academies that some GS did not realise is that they now have to pay for the 11+ tests and all the review processes.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Yes, I know - it's the HTWC that is driving this, but is it right that an apparently anonymous and unaccountable body should have so much power? Those schools that are fortunate enough to have a representative on this committee will inevitably have more information to hand than those that do not. Who do we address our concerns to? Our own GS, or primary schools? I got the distinct impression that our GS is completely unaware of all this and the first they heard was when I made enquiries.

Regarding academy status - I should have thought testing/appeal costs would have been very near the top of the list of things that schools were told they would have to pay for if they became academies?
Marylou
Katherine124

Post by Katherine124 »

I think the reason for the Jan 2013 timescale is that this will be when the appropriate admissions policy goes to consultation. So that is the latest everyone will hear.
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

I also think that all parents have a right to know about these changes and the fact they are happening, even if the fine detail has not been worked out. As far as I can tell, none of us would have known if Sally-Anne had not shared this information on the forum. I don't know what proportion of parents use this forum, but there will be very many who do not and they should also know. Even a statement regarding that changes are underway and which year it would affect would suffice. I just don't like all these chinese whispers and speculations. Someone in authority must know something and be in a position to inform parents.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The Admissions Code does not actually require the schools to publish information about the content of tests. These are the only requirements imposed upon them:
Tests for selection
1.31 Tests for all forms of selection must be clear, objective, and give an accurate reflection of the child’s ability or aptitude, irrespective of sex, race, or disability. It is for the admission authority to decide the content of the test, providing that the test is a true test of aptitude or ability.

1.32 Admission authorities must:
a) ensure that tests for aptitude in a particular subject are designed to test only for aptitude in the subject concerned, and not for ability;
b) ensure that tests are accessible to children with special educational needs and disabilities, having regard to the reasonable adjustments for disabled pupils required under equalities legislation, and
c) take all reasonable steps to inform parents of the outcome of selection tests before the closing date for secondary applications on 31 October so as to allow parents time to make an informed choice of school - while making clear that this does not equate to a guarantee of a selective place.

1.33 Admission authorities must not adjust the score achieved by any child in a test to take account of oversubscription criteria, such as having a sibling at the school.
And yet it does require Admission authorities to publish that information where tests will be used for ability banding:
1.27 The admission authority must publish the admission requirements and the process for such banding and decisions, including details of any tests that will be used to band children according to ability.
Something of a contradiction in the "slimmed down" Code ...

Regardless of all of that, one would hope that the schools would take the view that parents do need to be given basic information at a reasonably early stage about which tests the children will be facing, where they will take them and the timeline.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Lillie wrote:As far as I can tell, none of us would have known if Sally-Anne had not shared this information on the forum.
It was actually front page news in local newspapers in South Bucks because of speculation by the Leader of the Council about possible changes to testing. However because there were no specifics (and he may not know what the changes are likely to be either) it didn't seem to raise many eyebrows.

I simply added the "intelligence" about Primary heads having been told specifically that the test will change, and when.
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

This speculation must be very difficult for all concerned,but on the positive side an advantage of these new tests being introduced will mean that the whole cohort of children in the county who will be sitting the new style tests will all be in the same position and maybe all the pressure regarding lots of tuition will be lifted!! We can live in hopes!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now