Interpretation of SATs results for 12+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Re: Interpretation of SATs results for 12+

Post by Sally-Anne »

The BCC website has been updated for the Late Transfer test for 2013. The full requirements can be viewed here: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/a ... _2013.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The requirement for SATs is slightly different this year. Apparently there was a late amendment to the KS2 process by the DfE, and parents will not receive an overall result for English this year. The bold and underlining is mine:
(ai) If your child undertook Key Stage 2 SATS in year 6 academic year 2011/2012, you will need to provide the evidence that the child achieved Key Stage 2 SATS with Level 5 in the Mathematics test result, Level 5 in the English reading test result and Level 5 in the writing teacher assessment. If you have not already received a copy of your child’s SATS results from your child’s primary school, you must acquire a copy and provide this to the admissions team by the 31st October 2012. Your child MUST achieve this level in year 6.
Level 5 is still the benchmark, but the English result will be in two parts.
TA123

Post by TA123 »

Sally-Anne wrote:The BCC website has been updated for the Late Transfer test for 2013. The full requirements can be viewed here: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/a ... _2013.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The requirement for SATs is slightly different this year. Apparently there was a late amendment to the KS2 process by the DfE, and parents will not receive an overall result for English this year. The bold and underlining is mine:
(ai) If your child undertook Key Stage 2 SATS in year 6 academic year 2011/2012, you will need to provide the evidence that the child achieved Key Stage 2 SATS with Level 5 in the Mathematics test result, Level 5 in the English reading test result and Level 5 in the writing teacher assessment. If you have not already received a copy of your child’s SATS results from your child’s primary school, you must acquire a copy and provide this to the admissions team by the 31st October 2012. Your child MUST achieve this level in year 6.
Level 5 is still the benchmark, but the English result will be in two parts.
So we're out with 4 in Writing :-(
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Doesn't it depend on the school? The majority of Bucks' GSs administer their own tests. Reading the guidance (on a phone so I may have missed something) I infer that the SATs restriction is only applied to those schools which use BCC to administer their tests.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Unfortunately all the other 9 grammars have specified Level 5 in their Late Transfer Admissions Policies.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I'm not surprised, otherwise they might be inundated with applicants. It seems an obvious first sift.
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

A sign of things to come as only a handful of schools will be using the Bucks CC late transfer procedure and for the rest, you are advised to contact the schools directly. However, the schools' websites don't seem to have caught up with Bucks CC website as looking at 2 of them (SHF and AHS) they still state that admissions are handled by the council.
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

dear moderators just been reading the link on the late transfer test 2013. can you please tell me that the other schools like SHF in bucks ,will they conduct there own tests, ie not the 12+ vr test and do we need to contact them ourselves for the test. if so do any one have an idea of what the test consists of.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

khanj010 wrote:dear moderators just been reading the link on the late transfer test 2013. can you please tell me that the other schools like SHF in bucks ,will they conduct there own tests, ie not the 12+ vr test and do we need to contact them ourselves for the test. if so do any one have an idea of what the test consists of.
The information you need is here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... -procedure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Where the school is setting its own tests you will need to contact them in due course.
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

I have a question regarding allocation of places by distance at 12 plus. Does it mean that if your child qualifies and you apply for your catchment school, if you live further away from the school than another qualifying child, then it means that the child living nearer will be allocated the place (provided they are also in catchment)? I can see this process being very unfair if you happen to live out of town and not on the school doorstep.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Lillie wrote:Does it mean that if your child qualifies and you apply for your catchment school, if you live further away from the school than another qualifying child, then it means that the child living nearer will be allocated the place (provided they are also in catchment)? I can see this process being very unfair if you happen to live out of town and not on the school doorstep.
It varies by school, Lillie. From memory, all the schools that have elected to set their own late transfer test are using score and then distance from school gates, with priority to catchment children. The four GS that are still using the BCC late transfer test will allocate by distance alone (with priority to catchment) for qualified children.

Whether the latter can be described as "unfair" I am not sure, given that it is exactly the same system as is used for the 11+.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now