Living in Watford - newbie - is it worth trying?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11nuts

Living in Watford - newbie - is it worth trying?

Post by 11nuts »

Trying to understand the catchment rules for Bucks.

Am I correct in thinking that places are given to the residents of Bucks first for GS schools and then offered to the out-of-district people. In this case is there any point in trying?

I have tried to perform a search and read the criteria however, perhaps I am panicking, but does seem different every time I read it.

We currently live in Watford and have managed to register for the bucks test but now wondering if its worth it. If i have a minimum chance then why not just give DS a rest?

With kind regards, SK.
scary mum

Re: Living in Watford - newbie - is it worth trying?

Post by scary mum »

If your DS achieved the qualifying score for Bucks (121) then you would be offered a place at Chesham Grammar if previous years are anything to go by. Chesham traditionally is "all offered" and usually is not even full. This isn't because it is a poor school (far from it!) but is a geographical thing - it is on the edge of Bucks so people have a choice of other types of school. I would have thought your DS would be unlikely to be offered a place t other grammars but here have been years when strange thins have happened. Places are usually allocated on distance if a child is qualified (in catchment followed by out of catchment).
scary mum
Alka Sood

Post by Alka Sood »

It depends year to year on the cohort. 3 kids in our area got admission in Becky high which is abt 10 to 11 miles as the crow flies. U never know - as long as you know how they will finally get to school and back everyday.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Ave you seen the allocation profiles fom the last few years?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only way to be (fairly) sure is to go for one which is always "all offered". And as mentioned, consider transport.
scary mum
11nuts

Post by 11nuts »

scary mum wrote:Ave you seen the allocation profiles fom the last few years?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only way to be (fairly) sure is to go for one which is always "all offered". And as mentioned, consider transport.
I had not seen this, so thank you. It does seem our options are limited to Chesham GS. There are few possibles however it depends I guess on how many kids are in the catchment area.

Thank you for you help, it does seem we have nothing taking the test.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now