Anyone else had enough of the 11+?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manny0311

Re: Anyone else had enough of the 11+?

Post by Manny0311 »

Good luck and hang in there !

Not very nice words of encouragement from the teacher
fast trak

Post by fast trak »

Imagine the state of the child who is already aware what 69 means. Instead of saying that the practice tests are meant to benefit and improve on the weaknesses the teacher is putting him down. thats too mean.
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

Just looked back from my DD's tests from a few years ago. The wording on the top of the two answer sheets I kept say:

Practice Test A - she got 70
Practice Test 2 - she got 65

Not sure which test you've just done but I remember absolutely having a meltdown about the low marks. The good news is she passed on both tests; not by a huge margin (in the 120s) but who cares?!! So, I don't think you should panic too much, although I know that's hard and, if it's any consolation I'm going through it again for the third time.....
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

newgirl wrote:Just looked back from my DD's tests from a few years ago. The wording on the top of the two answer sheets I kept say:

Practice Test A - she got 70
Practice Test 2 - she got 65

Not sure which test you've just done but I remember absolutely having a meltdown about the low marks. The good news is she passed on both tests; not by a huge margin (in the 120s) but who cares?!! So, I don't think you should panic too much, although I know that's hard and, if it's any consolation I'm going through it again for the third time.....
Did she pass Bucks ? If so one **** of an improvement from these practice scores
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Manny what do you mean? These are scores /80 not standardised scores.
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

I have had four at Grammar school two still there and I feel the pressure and anxiety amongst parents has got worse. I do not think you should get too stressed about the mock papers,that is precisely what they are. The whole point of them is to give these young children a taste of being in an exam hall. I deliberately did not even look at let alone mark the practise tests which were done a few days before the test. I thought there was little point at this late stage and it could cause increased anxiety which they could do without. I told them they did well!! We sometimes forget that they are young children. One of my sons only did the 10 minute practise tests up until the mock tests at school and passed. I dropped this son at a top University last week after gaining A* A* AA in his A'levels and I thought to myself as I looked around at the other freshers how many of these high achieving teenagers went through the whole 11 plus hype at 10 years old and here they all are at a top University.
Please remember that whatever school they attend they all sit the same GCSE's and A'levels and with the support of parents such as the people who are on this forum they will do well.I also think that it is unnecessary for people to put their childrens scores on this forum. I do understand that a lot of parents are unable to pay school fees and feel Grammar schools are the only way to give their children a good education but not all children will pass and we must therefore do the best we can and not make a Grammar school the be all and end all.
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

I hear you loud and clear OP.

DS is a September birthday so needs a good score. He has his heart set on DCGS and the open evening last week confirmed everything for him. He's been getting consistently high scores but on Practice Paper 1 he only got 66/80 as he forgot how to do the bracketed number questions - and got that pesky 'FOR' one wrong as well as a couple of silly vocab errors.

Luckily Paper 2 saw him back up to 76/80 but he knows that for his age he can't afford many blips.

Having had to go through the appeals process (successfully mind you...) with DD two years ago when she was expected to get a high score, I can say that he's far better prepared and I would hope has a fighting chance but I'm dreading the next few weeks.

There are times I really wish we'd moved to a different area...
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

Hi MollyB

Your comments are well and duly noted. I do think that the pressure and anxiety has risen steadily for many including myself! Some of this is due to what we read on the forum, speaking to friends or hearing in the playground at school.

My dd sat two exams and one admittedly was taken mainly to get used to the atmosphere and the requirements on the day. Most likely we will get the results for the tests together so it was not to improve on scores but to calm the nerves on the school exams we really would like. I think that many will have done the same and so the figures floating around for the children taking exams for particular schools could be misjudged.

Unfortunately, we are not in the catchment for any decent schools where our dd will have a chance at scoring anything close to the results your ds has achieved. The school results posted are evident of this! Hence the grammar school route. Looking around on exam day you could see the children looking at last minute crib sheets and memorising opposites etc. up until they went inside. You couldn't help feeling for them and yet understanding that the competition for the coveted places was simply a race for the best marks. Most likely many of the children are grammar school candidates but may not get the opporutunity based on the knowledge of the sheer numbers that apply these days. You don't want to feel that grammar school is the be all and end all but somethimes this is the only chance your dc may have.
H2OHNO

Post by H2OHNO »

On his first practise paper DS went into meltdown mode and scored around 60%. Then when it came to the real 11+ he passed. The only papers which matter are the two real ones, and if they are going to make a mistake the practise paper is a good place to do it.

Good luck to all of you on the final run-in

8)
FeelingSick

Post by FeelingSick »

am also sick and tired of 11 plus so will be glad when it's all over.

Have had added pressure of older child applying to Uni this month so it's just about been academic **** around here.

Am hoping that improving shaky results in practise tests will continue in upward vein until we just hop over the finish line but to be honest I'm not holding out much hope.

Will be getting a new chicken when it's all over.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now