Excellent Primaries in Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

munch

Excellent Primaries in Bucks

Post by munch »

If DS is offered the Bucks schools on our CAF we will need to start looking at decent primaries for DD who is current Y4.
Is anybody able to point me towards ones I need to be looking at? Or will it be the case that the decent ones will be full? If we are moving then we can look for somewhere where a good school exists. We have RGS and JHGS down on CAF but the good primaries don't necessarily have to be close to these.
Any pointers much appreciated.
Last edited by munch on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Re: Excellent Primaries in Bucks

Post by scary mum »

I would start with the league tables/Ofsted rports and then ask questions about specific schools. If it important to you,look at the numbers of children passing the 11 plus at each school (it is on the Bucks website).I can pm you about our primary school if you like.
scary mum
munch

Post by munch »

Thanks scary mum, that was the plan tonight but I thought there may be some schools in Bucks which are known by forumites here to be generally well-performing. I'd be interested to hear about your school so please do pm me when you get a moment.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Where will you move to? Some are very over-subscribed so we do need a bit more of a clue.
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Hi MUNCH,
We are in the same boat we are also hoping for Burnham or RGS , I also have 2 dd's year 2 and 3 at present so need to find a primary for them. I did put RGS as my 2nd choice, but have jumped the gun and put an in year application for the schools I was interested in.

A good website I found was Upmystreet, if you put in primary schools in HW, they will give you a good idea of how the schools are performing and if you click on the individual school, you can find their ofsted reports, thats how I chose mine.

I also rung the schools and BCC, most are full and have waiting lists, I was told they will be processed in the summer term around may. If we are offered then I was told
will have 6 weeks to take up the offer or refuse. In that time you obviously have to provide proof of address. Some are strict with catchment area, but overall the good ones are oversubscribed.

Good luck on your search.
munch

Post by munch »

Hasmum, thanks for that which I will have a look at. You sound in a similar situation to us. I hope it all works out ok for you...stressful times if the older one is sorted come 1st March but all change for younger DC
Guest55, thanks...not overly familiar with all places Bucks but I do know High Wycombe is not a runner. Aiming for somewhere semi-rural such as bits of Chesham, certainly liked the area we drove through to see Chesham GS. Not near JH or RGS I know but still do-able. I suppose
what I'm saying is if the area is what we are after plus there is a great primary there, the rest can be worked out. I was under the impression that the sought-after primaries will be few and their areas could be my starting point.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

These are the state primaries in the Wycombe area where more than 20% of pupils qualified for grammar in 2010, in descending order of success rate. I have removed schools where the base numbers were so low that the data returned <5:

Great Kingshill CE Combined School
Bledlow Ridge School
Cadmore End CE School
Downley School
Hughenden Primary School
Danesfield School
Cedar Park School
Burford School
Claytons Primary School
Naphill & Walters Ash School
Hamilton Primary School
Hazlemere CE Combined School
Chepping View Primary School
High Wycombe CE Combined School
Meadows School - The
Juniper Hill School
Monks Risborough CE Primary School

These are in the same category for Chiltern and South Bucks, again in descending order:

Little Chalfont Primary School
Elangeni School
Gerrards Cross CE School - The
Butlers Court School
Great Missenden CE Combined School
Farnham Common Junior School
Little Kingshill Combined School
Chesham Bois CE Combined School
Hawridge & Cholesbury CE School
Curzon CE Combined School
Chalfont St Peter CE School
Chalfont St Giles Junior School
Holtspur School
Lent Rise Combined School
Ley Hill School
Chartridge Combined School
Holmer Green Junior School

I hope that is of some help to you.

S-A
drummer

Post by drummer »

though the above results may not reflect the schools so much as they reflect the socio-economic status of the area and the propensity to tutor and perhaps the calibre of the local tutors.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

though the above results may not reflect the schools so much as they reflect the socio-economic status of the area and the propensity to tutor and perhaps the calibre of the local tutors.
True, but I suppose it is a starting point. OP, I will pm you tomorrow (our school appears on S-A's list). You probably need to arrow your area down a bit though so people can help a bit more.
scary mum
munch

Post by munch »

SA-thanks a bundle, always impressed at how you have all this 'stuff' at your fingertips.
Drummer and Scarymum-thank you both. I agree it is a bit of a 'stick a pin on the donkey' scenario but that's because I don't really know how far the different areas are from one another until I do a big drive-around one day. I am assuming that catchment will apply robustly for the good primaries so it may be a case of considering some areas I would not have opted for otherwise.
DD already has 11+ tuition so not going for a school on their 11+ results alone, am equally interested in how they are performing generally in all core subjects.
I was hoping to get a few ideas from this forum and then drive to the schools recommended and see if we liked the areas around it. No point in doing it the other way round in case there are no good schools nearby!