Appeal Help - long post sorry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hertfordshire Parent

Post by Hertfordshire Parent »

Hi Chins,

Pretty good KS1 scores to say the least. The discrepancies in your daughter's individual scores are pretty similar to my own childs' in that spelling and writing are relative weaknesses. Sometimes these areas can be enough to hold down test marks as the child progresses through school and the work becomes more complex, even though they don't seem to be significantly below average. I know that for us spelling was a huge factor affecting verbal reasoning marks on her practise papers - knowing the word but not being able to spell it correctly was often where she would lose marks. (Won't know if all the practise we put in make any difference until 1st March).

The comment you make about a tendency to rush struck a huge chord with me also - this can be because a bright child considers something to be academically easy but then seems to make silly mistakes apparently through rushing. We had exactly this problem with my daughter too - in fact the more we practised papers the worse this became as she became familiar with the style of questions the mistakes got worse (addition/subtraction errors even - owing to transposed numbers - a specific dyslexia problem which resurfaced under pressure). What was very telling for us was that she managed to get right the really difficult questions which I as a parent had to think twice about.

Maths teaching was also a BIG issue for us - and we certainly weren't happy with the teaching at school, very confusing for a dyslexic child who understands concepts immediately but owing to the speed that they whizz through the curriculum there was no time for consolidation to long term memory so we felt that her Maths scores at the end of Year 5 were much lower than they should have been.

Anyway, you need to consider , if you do find out there is even a minor underlying problem, how this will affect your appeal. If you had been aware could you have applied for extra time for instance - again check this out with your EP who should know this if he/she is local to your area.
Extra time according to the NFER website is usually up to 25%. Over to Patricia - does Bucks award this under any circumstances?

How long do you have between the assessment and the appeal hearing to consider your appeal points?

HP
Chins

Post by Chins »

HP

Thanks again - some interestin comments. Assessment and review tomorrow, appeal next Monday!!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Chins/Herfordshire parent

The following link should answer your question,in particular, the very last sentence.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/paren ... _needs.asp

Goodluck for 2morrow

Patricia

Post by Guest »

I've been reading this thread with great interest as I have an appeal hearing for my daughter on Thursday morning.

She scored 110 & 114 in her tests - quite a bit lower than we'd anticipated (~124) She suffers from exam nerves which were exacerbated in the first paper by her date of birth being printed wrongly and a music lesson taking place in the classroom below (not exactly ideal exam conditions!) I know these aren't huge extenuating circumstances, but certainly enough to tip her over on the day. She has a reading age of 14+ and spelling age of 11.9 at 10 yrs 6 months, and she has a good recommendation from her headteacher.

With a strong wind following I'm hoping for some luck & sympathetic hearing on the day.

Thanks for the useful advice here
Hertfordshire Parent

Hi Chins,

Didn't get chance to check to forum yesterday for replies. Hope your daughter's assessment is/was (depending when you are reading this) OK today.

HP

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for the link - interesting to note that extra time is only awarded to children who are deemed to need extra time across the curriculum. As schools are generally pretty slow at identifying Special Educational Needs, the very bright child with mild to moderate dyslexia or dyspraxia is very disadvantaged. The school will not pick up any problems because these children may be working at average or well above. Often the first sign is and unexpected failure at the 11+ or similar. Not saying that all children who fail have underlying problems, but I feel very keenly for the minority that do fall into this category. To be honest, most dyspraxic children should be given extra time and/or rest breaks owing to handwriting difficulties. This isn't always necessary across the curriculum, but would definately be needed during some testing owing to the relative intensity of writing compared to classroom work.

HP

To all tutors

Do any of your students ever apply for or receive concessions in the 11+, and if so do you know how this affects scores? Also, does anyone have experience of an appeal involving SEN?

HP
Chins

Post by Chins »

Well we had an interesting day with the Ed Psych.

For anyone thinking about it and the money !! (£350) I think its worth it.
We certainly learned a lot about our daughter today, as well as a lot of confimation.

We are fully aware that we need him upstairs, a happy panel and a fair wind next week, but if nothing else we can look at various area's of our daughters brain functions for the future :o

Forgive me if I cant remember all the technical terms, waiting on our full write up :!: Well 1 and a half pages for the appeal panel

Our Ed Psych felt that our daughter suffers from being Cross Lateral and doesnt like certain forms of directional thinking. Think thats right. Her short term memory could also do with some work. I knew we shouldnt of given her a mobile at 2 years old :D These weaknesses dont help apparently in the 11plus. Some of these traits are hand me downs :oops:
She also has a bit more to add.

On the positive side, she had an IQ of 121. Her aural verbal reasoning was that of a 16/17 year old, a reading age of 13.8 and her spelling age has increased to that of a 14 year old. After meeting her she felt grammar was the best place for her. These are not hand me downs :D

I do feel a lot happier now that

1. We should appeal
2. She's not as thick as her Dad :)
3. Her academic ability is comensurate with Grammar
4. We have more proof of her ability - not just relying on SATS
5. Finally some idea why she didnt fulfill her potential in the tests.
Hertfordshire Parent

Hi Chins,

Loads of entries from you over the last few days, that will teach me not to check the Forum more regularly!!! Anyway, thought I would post here again, just wanted to say glad you found the Ed Psych assessment so rewarding. Hope your daughter can take a huge amount of pride in her ability - her IQ places her in the top 9% - and whatever the outcome of your appeal, hope this gives her confidence too for her future.

If you need some pointers for future for overcoming writing and short-term memory probs, happy to post on this Forum at some time.

Very best of luck for your Appeal Hearing on Monday.

HP
Chins

Post by Chins »

HP

Thanks for your support - cant wait until Monday :o

Would enjoy reading about improving short term memory. I need it as well as my daughter - long terms fine, she always remembers if If we owe her money, I can remember if she's already spent it. :D

Based on the report we get back, then there might be other exercises she needs to practice.
QE Dad

Post by QE Dad »

Chins,

I have followed developments on this thread of the forum with some interest (I have a very able daughter on the grammar school conveyor belt due into 11 plus next year, who gets bored very quickly and I fear she may head for a score that would not be truly reflective of her ability).

Good luck with the process on Monday and do let us know how you and your daughter fared.

QED
Chins

Post by Chins »

QE Dad wrote:Chins,

I have followed developments on this thread of the forum with some interest (I have a very able daughter on the grammar school conveyor belt due into 11 plus next year, who gets bored very quickly and I fear she may head for a score that would not be truly reflective of her ability).

Good luck with the process on Monday and do let us know how you and your daughter fared.

QED
Thanks. Will post, good or indifferent :!:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now