12 plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
guest97

Post by guest97 »

I have sons at both schools and think that CHS is great and son absolutely loves it!

Re: 12 plus

Post by Guest »

amum wrote:although we knew DCGS was full, I did still hope we might get it as we live less than a mile.
Sorry, bu if it's full, it's full, and how close you live is irrelevant. (After all, if your son was already there and they took in extra pupils when there wasn't the space or resources for them, you wouldn't be too pleased).
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is down to an appeal panel to decide that - no-one else.

I can remember having 181 in a Year 10 so we had to have 31 in one class - the school has no say in this as there may be compelling reasons why a child should be in the school.

I can also remeber when schools have taken on another class to accommodate pupils allowed in on transfer appeal -
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Anonymous wrote:
amum wrote:although we knew DCGS was full, I did still hope we might get it as we live less than a mile.
Sorry, bu if it's full, it's full, and how close you live is irrelevant. (After all, if your son was already there and they took in extra pupils when there wasn't the space or resources for them, you wouldn't be too pleased).
Amum

Please ignore that statement - it is incorrect to say "if it's full, it's full". A transfer appeal could result in an extra child being taken in to the school, as Guest55 quite rightly says.

Where you live can be a relevant factor at a transfer appeal - after all, the general principle is that children should go to their catchment school!

Have you read Etienne's "Appeal Q&A's" - there is a link at the top of the Appeal section of the Forum. The part you should look at is Section C - appeals for an over-subscribed school.

Sally-Anne
chad

Post by chad »

Yeehah.... Congratulations Sally-Anne and njg.....really pleased for both of you.... :D
hugh

Post by hugh »

Sally-Anne wrote: Where you live can be a relevant factor at a transfer appeal - after all, the general principle is that children should go to their catchment school!

Have you read Etienne's "Appeal Q&A's" - there is a link at the top of the Appeal section of the Forum. The part you should look at is Section C - appeals for an over-subscribed school.
Sally-Anne
But if Amum lives only 1mile from Challoner's, she's almost certainly also in catchment for Chesham High, so the offer is for a catchment school, albeit not the one they most want.

That aside, they are very different schools, so I can quite see why you might prefer one over the other. I can't advise on the relevant merits of accepting Chesham and/or appealing for Challoner's, but congratulations to your son for passing and I hope that whichever grammar he transfers to, he is much happier and more fulfilled there than his previous school.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

amum wrote: - a clever, bright child somehow just misses the magic 121 and then with full total support from junior school Head and estimated 3 top 5's at year 6 SATS gets written off at appeal.
Dear amum

Appeal panels do not "write children off" - they take very difficult decisions based on all the evidence. I cannot comment on your particular selection appeal because I do not know all the facts, but have a look at the Q&As E15 and E25 for an example of how all the facts might alter the picture.
Anonymous wrote: Sorry, but if it's full, it's full, and how close you live is irrelevant. (After all, if your son was already there and they took in extra pupils when there wasn't the space or resources for them, you wouldn't be too pleased).
"Anonymous" is right to be concerned about the possible impact on children already at the school, but at a transfer appeal it's the panel's job to take that into account. It's also the panel's job to take account of the parental case, and to balance the arguments: do the parents' reasons for wanting a place outweigh the prejudice to the school of being required to admit another pupil?
Etienne
amum

12+

Post by amum »

Thank you so much for all your comments. Yes we are in catchment for both schools allbeit that DCGS is 10 minute walk and CHS is 25 minute bus ride away. The other issue is that I know that there are 181 boys in the current year 7 at DCGS and there is not a waiting list - according to the school. Also, my son did the RGS test for entry into year 8 this Sept. - he was offered a place there too, but he really wants DCGS where he knows loads of boys and he can walk to.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Well done Sally Ann (and others) for finally getting there!
I can quite see how you are totally exhausted.

Have been following the various posts on and off since Dec '06 when we first found this site - and were in the process of going through a selection appeal ourselves (fortunately successful) - and that was quite enough for me! Now have a child in year 5 who will be taking the exam in Oct. :evil:

Just curious though - which school did your son finally get?

Well done again, and best of luck to everyone for September
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Anon

Thank you your kind words.

I would prefer not to post which school he got - I guard my privacy on the forum quite ferociously!!

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now