Dr Challenors Boys - Admission in Yr 8

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lassielou

Dr Challenors Boys - Admission in Yr 8

Post by lassielou »

Morning all

I hope someone out there will have the knowledge to help me! After a failed 11+ :( and a failed 11+ appeal :cry: we are now applying to take the DCGS tests in English + Maths for entry into Year 8 :shock: .

Does anyone know how many places there are likely to be in Year 8? I know it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string - but historically, any ideas??

Thank you for any help :)
Sally-Anne

Re: Dr Challenors Boys - Admission in Yr 8

Post by Sally-Anne »

I am afraid the brutal but honest answer is one or none. Despite that, there is a huge bun fight at the test each year.

You would do better to apply to Chesham Grammar School for their late transfer test.
lassielou

Post by lassielou »

Thanks for the brutal truth! Forgive my ignorance then, if they have no places, why do they let the boys sit the exams? :?
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

The schools mostly fill up at Year 7. Entry into Year 8 will depend on how many places will be vacated by students leaving during the year/ giving notice to leave.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

lassielou wrote:Thanks for the brutal truth! Forgive my ignorance then, if they have no places, why do they let the boys sit the exams? :?
1. I assume they are mindful that there is a legal right to apply each year.
2. They cannot know for sure how many places, if any, will be available.
3. Even if there should be no places, there is a right of appeal.
Etienne
Demon Pixie

Post by Demon Pixie »

Hi Lassielou

Previous posters are absolutely right to say that few places arise in Yr 8 at DCGS - but, just for the record, there were at least 3 last year, which was probably unusual.
lassielou

Post by lassielou »

Thank you for that glimmer of hope!! :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Seriously if you want a GS place go for Chesham Grammar or somewhere with a good number of places.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

There were 2 I believe in my son's year (he's now Y12), caused by one boy leaving for a private school and another getting a music scholarship elsewhere.

But the chances are very, very slim. It helps if you play at least county level cricket and/or hockey :lol:
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

I know of a friend who was successful in gaining a place at DCGS for her son at the 12plus. The test was in English and Maths and the boys were ranked according to their aggregate score.There were no previous papers given out for practice and the advice they were given was that the tests would be on key stage 3 work they should have covered and no extra work was necessary,quite refreshing I thought!. I assume the comment regarding cricket was meant tongue in cheek! the places are ranked on score. I would suggest sitting both the VR for Chesham Grammar and the English and Maths test for DCGS. The child needs to have level 5 SATS before being allowed to sit though.Nothing ventured nothing gained.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now