BUCKS 11+ RESULTS 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Manny0311

Re: BUCKS 11+ RESULTS 2012

Post by Manny0311 »

32 point difference for me.....What a strange one !!!!
mumski3

Post by mumski3 »

5 point diff - Test 1 116 Test 2 111. thought i'd feel better about it this morning but i don't :(
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

If you look at past appeal statistics, you will see that just because a child has a lower score, does not mean that they won't be successful in the appeal (or the new review). Make sure you have really strong academic evidence to bring in, because that is what will matter most. I think you will find that most children who win on appeal do well in the grammar school setting as they have had to prove they are academically able, whereas some who pass the eleven plus do less well because of luck, having a lot more training, .......

I think it never hurts to appeal (or in this case ask for the review) if you think there is a specific grammar school you want your child to go to. Even if you aren't sure, it will give you the option of sending your child to a grammar school. You do not have to tell your child you are appealing/reviewing, they don't need to have anything to do with it.

After all, there are some very bright kids, who just do not handle the pressure of the testing process. It may not be you putting on the pressure, but they can see it with the other children, and their friends parents, ...... And not being successful can be a really good thing in the long run. Your child can learn that when they are unsuccessful at something it is NOT the end of the world, that things will be ok. If you are successful at review/appeal, they will see that all that mattered was they have consistently shown academic achievement and the test is a technicality. And if they don't get through the appeal/review, they will go to an upper school, where they can learn they can still do well academically, they can be at the top of the class, and they can still go to a good university.

The younger a child has a setback and learns that the world does not end, the better for them. Last year I was in your boat and my child was destroyed by the eleven plus process. However, this year, my child's ability to handle the pressure of exams is miraculous. And that is because they saw the world did not end, life moved on, and they were not "stupid." They were successful on appeal, despite having not a very good score on the 11+, and looking at the stats, my child is NOT the only one to successfully appeal on a lower score. So do not lose heart.
StacatoMum

Post by StacatoMum »

DS passed! Yipee... he too was a nervous wreck when we picked him up yesterday. I saw him in tears- I actually thought he opened it (which is very not likely of him) or someone has given him a hint. As it was, it was 100% pure nerves (it didn't help that we pass the GS he wants to go to everyday, which makes him count the days to the result)- but I did say better to cry out such feelings instead of bottling it up and doing something stup%^ later. But as it turned out it was a really good news. He had 19points diff between the 2 exams- for him I think it was being overconfident on the 2nd and threw caution out of the door. Really happy on the results.

I pray for all parents and DC who are in the middle of major decisions for the next days to come. Hope the respective primary schools will be helpful in building the cases.

I must not forget to thank everyone for all the help and info in here. Especially to Sally-Anne, Patricia, and Guest55 who gave me a crash course on 11+ and how to move DSs to Bucks. Next DS (after 3yrs).
patricia

Post by patricia »

Just to say many congratulations to those children who have reached that magical 121.

To those parents of children who have not reached the qualifying score may I truly offer my commiserations. If you think your child should be placed in a grammar then please do take on board the advice offered by Etienne and Sally-Anne.

It does not necessarily follow that grammar schools are the best. I know first hand many children who have flourished in our upper schools.

Patricia
rainbow1

Post by rainbow1 »

Woke up with big smiles and a huge sense of relief this morning, DSs hard work paid off. The marks of his two papers varied by 17, strange when both papers are supposed to be of equal difficulty. Maybe nerves kicked in. One thing though - why is there a minimum score of 69? How do they work that one out? Thank you to everyone who contributes on this forum, you have helped keep everything in perspective, it means a lot to know you are not alone and help is at hand!
anju

Post by anju »

Hi DC got over 121 . Hope it is fine for Burnham Grammar our first choice. Has anybody got any idea from past?please reply I am really stressed.

edited by mod to remove score
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

anju wrote:Hi DC got over 121 . Hope it is fine for Burnham Grammar our first choice. Has anybody got any idea from past?please reply I am really stressed.

edited by mod to remove score
anju - the admissions for Burnham are not based on score - all that is required at least 121 - the allocations are then on distance - here are the details of the allocation profiles for the last few years:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
searchlight

Post by searchlight »

Anyone knows of any particular reason why the allocation profile for Sir William Borlase's Grammar school has changed fairly significantly for Mar 2012 compared to previous years?

2012 (01 Mar) = OA to 6.389 mls
2011 (Sep) = IA to 6.420 miles
2011 (Mar) = IA 4.654 miles

We are in catchment and this is our first choice school, hence my question. Will be much appreciated if moderators can shed some light on this? Thank you,
tumpa

Post by tumpa »

This is a thank you note specially for Sally Anne,Patricia and others who had responded kindly to sometimes even silly, obvious queries and guided me all the way. The DIY post is fabulous. I am recommending it to all my friends currently with kids in year 4 or 5.
I decided to go DIY instead of tuitions and it worked. My DS got good marks only a few shy from full score. The diff b/w the 2 tests score was 4.
I had followed the DIY MATERIAL dilligently although must admit last one yr in prep school also did help