New content for 2013 11+ test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lillie

Re: New content for 2013 11+ test

Post by Lillie »

Well I'm glad there is some news, but what a time to sneak this in, right before Christmas when no-one will notice.

Odd that this was noticed by an eagle-eyed member of the forum, via the Aylesbury Grammar website, and not through some more widespread announcement. I suppose that will happen as soon as term resumes in January?

By the way, Merry Christmas everyone.
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

It is now also on the WHS website, so presumably on the other grammar schools as well, so it must be what is planned. Talk about cutting it fine!
KenR

Post by KenR »

The Durham CEM definition of verbal reasoning is interesting:
Our approach
Our aim is to develop assessments that are resistant to prepping and provide as standardised an environment as possible. Into this framework we then present content that assesses performance in verbal, numerical and non-verbal reasoning. Our interpretation of verbal reasoning is broad and includes comprehension and reading skills.
Also worth reading other background material:-
Our Paper tests
We develop paper tests and would be happy to talk to anyone interested in this format. In general we provide a service with the following aspects in common:

We provide a sample sheet the aims of which are:
To provide candidates and parents the chance to be informed of the process.
(a) To enable a candidate to gauge the look and feel of the tests.
(b) Inform candidates of the manner of answering questions.
(c) The time and content of invigilation is standardised through the provision of an audio soundtrack.
We divide each assessment into specifically timed sections, to best reflect the balance of cognitive ability being tested.
Each new section is introduced using examples as well as informing the candidate of the time they have available.
Provide papers that are uniquely identifiable. Candidates write directly onto the papers.
Age standardise the results and provide a breakdown of scores.
We provide no practice materials to minimise prepping.
Cloze, Comprehension, Synonyms and Antonyms are widely used.

The latter 2 are often characterised by being very tight on timescales. When my DS did the CEM test many years ago they had to answer 80 Synonym question in 10 mins - 7.5 secs per question! An early trick was to provide a comprehension passage to read before the break, take the passage away and then ask question in paper 2 after the break. This resulted in lots of complaints - haven't repeated for a few years. Best advice is to prepare for the unexpected and practice lots of different types of material - variety really is the spice of life.

The format of the Cloze tests are usually a passage with a number of incomplete words with missing letters - not the usual cloze tests.

I would recommend parents to make up their own cloze material for various broadsheet newspaper articles or factual material - worth taking a look at sites like clozeure -
http://learnonline.cc/clozure/about.php

Hope this helps
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You help is much appreciated, Ken. I am afraid you may find yourself down in Bucks rather a lot during 2013!
Y

Post by Y »

So for the cloze there isn't usually a bank of words to choose from? You just get the clue of a few letters of the word and some blanks?

And reading the various links, it looks like some of the questions across the two papers are multiple choice, and some are write your own answer?
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

Am I the only one that thinks this is great fun?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ian35mm wrote:Am I the only one that thinks this is great fun?
Quite possibly.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

ian35mm wrote:Am I the only one that thinks this is great fun?
Have you got a child in Year 5, Ian? :|
Marylou
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

He tutors them :wink:
scary mum
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

scary mum wrote:He tutors them :wink:
Oh, right. So do I. Therefore not just concerned about my own.

New test? :shock: :cry:

New, untutorable test? Bring it on! :twisted:
Marylou